I want to play for WI as long was I can: Gayle

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
On the brink of playing his 100th Test, in front of his family, friends and supporters, and at his favourite Sabina Park, Chris Gayle says he is relaxed as he prepared for the 'perfect occasion'.

"The most pleasing thing is that I have made a lot of people happy. I have brought happiness and I have made an impact and I am happy about that. To make an impact on other people's lives is important to me. Once the people are happy I am happy," Gayle said.

The left-handed batsman is expected to be the cynosure of all eyes and he said he is looking forward to the historic event. "This is a huge milestone, this is very special and something I'm really looking forward to. It all started in Rollington Town I used to play cricket on the street then I moved to Lucas Cricket Club and here I am today about to play my 100th Test match for the West Indies," Gayle said.

The tall batsman made his Test debut against Zimbabwe at the Queens Park Oval, Port of Spain in 2000. Conceding he was extremely nervous in his debut match, Gayle recalled sharing the dressing room with some of the legends of the game in Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh. "When I look back I have come a long way. In my first match I was a bit nervous, but then I had played a few ODIs before so I settled down pretty well. I remember it very well. I even shed tears. To share a dressing room with Ambrose and Walsh and being at first slip with the two big men bowling and hitting edges and me taking a few catches was very good for me," Gayle said.

"When I batted in the first innings I was feeling really good and was looking for a big score. I got run out in a mix-up with Sherwin Campbell and I remember going back to the dressing room and I cried like a baby. I knew I was going to get a big one. It was a special match and I will remember for all time," the left-hander said.

"Now I've reached my 100th match and it is special because it is at home. Sabina Park is my favourite ground. It has changed a bit over the years and it's very special to play cricket here at home with my family, friends and supporters in the crowd, I always love playing at home and Sundays match will have great significance for me.

"I'm looking forward to it and I also want to have a huge performance. I'm sure the fans will be thrilled to see this occasion on television across the Caribbean and around the world. They have been very supportive throughout the years when I have had my ups and downs," he added.

The big left-handed batsman though isn't just thinking about the upcoming landmark. The Jamaican remarked he wanted to play for the West Indies as long as he could, and asked his team-mates to rally around him and help West Indies draw first blood against the visiting New Zealand side. "Hopefully we can win this Test and celebrate the occasion. I will look to contribute to the team and success. The focus is on winning. It will be most memorable to get a win and start the series on a winning note," he said.

"It is big not just for me but for the team as well I am sure everyone will be rallying around me. I have had my challenges coming up to my 100th Test match. To be able to stand here today I am very proud and I want to keep scoring runs and represent the West Indies as long as I can," he added.

Speaking about his favourite knock, Gayle, who has two triple hundreds to his credit (317 against South Africa at St. Johns in 2005 and 333 against Sri Lanka at Galle) said his innings at Galle was particularly pleasing, for he always struggled against the Sri Lankans. "That innings stands out in my mind and I put it at Number one. Over the years, playing against Sri Lanka, I didn't get a lot of runs. I had a terrible series there before, I was dismissed by Chaminda Vaas five times out of six, my highest score was 47 and I was never dominant against them. When I got the first century I lied flat on the ground and I told myself I wanted to make it a big one. I pushed for it and got the triple century", Gayle recalled.

Gayle also lead West Indies to a 1-0 series victory against England at home in 2009, something he remembers fondly. "To beat England at home, as captain was brilliant. We had some close calls in that series and it was very special. That was one of the highlights of my career. Sunday will be another special moment," he said.

Gayle will enter the arena sometime during the Jamaica Test with 6933 runs, just 67 shy of completing 7000 career Test runs. He has hit 15 Test tons, and has a creditable average of 42.01. On the bowling front, Gayle has 72 Test wickets, with his best effort 5/34 coming against England in Birmingham during the 2004 tour.