I am not worried about critics: Rohit Sharma

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Despite having had a consistent 2013-14, a season where he marked his Test debut with two consecutive hundreds against West Indies, a double century in an ODI game against Australia and some decent performances on the tour of South Africa and New Zealand, Indian middle order batsman, Rohit Sharma has been unable to shake off criticism about his style of batting.

Having made a permanent place in the Indian team now, Rohit says he has decided against paying heed to harsh words from the critics "Even after a good last season, there were people who were still criticising me. So I have realised that I have to just score runs because some criticism will always be there. I will do what's there is in my control as I have no control on what others feel about me. Critics actually are like girlfriends, they never stop thinking about you," Rohit told PTI.

Commenting on the previous season, Rohit remarked it was a good one from personal point of view, and he was confident about doing well in the upcoming season. "It has been a good year and I would like to continue the good work in the coming season. I am confident that I will be able to win matches for India," the 27-year-old Mumbaikar said.

Rohit Sharma is one amongst several players rested for the short series against Bangladesh, but he is already looking ahead to the much anticipated England series. India are scheduled to play 5 Tests, 5 ODIs and a one-off T20I during the long tour. This is the first time India are featuring in a 5-Test series since playing against West Indies in 2002. "I have been watching the ongoing England-Sri Lanka series to get an idea about their team. I wouldn't like to over-prepare. I believe that once you are in the groove, you can create your own strategy reacting to the situations," Rohit said. "It worked for me in New Zealand, where I batted well. Obviously, the basics will remain the same," he added.

Conditions in England are completely different to those at home, and Rohit said the team will have to adjust to the conditions quickly. He also pointed out at making slight technical variations in his own batting. "England is a place where you have to be good both on front and back foot. If James Anderson is swinging the ball, you need to come forward and be on top of the ball.

"The head position and the balance needs to be perfect. Similarly, if a bowler drops short, one needs to get onto the back foot. These are basic things that everyone needs to do correctly," he said.

Rohit wasn't a part of the team that was humiliated by a 4-0 margin during the 2011 tour but was optimistic of a good show by the team this time around. "I believe we should treat this as another series instead of taking too much pressure. It's true that we (him, Virat, Pujara) wouldn't carry any baggage but yes it would be a challenging series. I never like comparing one series with another. Just like South Africa was a different challenge, England will be another tough challenge," said one of India's batting mainstays.

Speaking about the recently concluded Indian Premier League (IPL), Rohit seemed content with the performance of the Mumbai Indians (MI). After losing five on the trot during the UAE leg of the tournament, Mumbai came back with a vengeance to qualify for the Eliminators - where they lost to Chennai Super Kings (CSK). "As a skipper, I am extremely proud of my team. It took a lot of self belief to make a comeback after a poor UAE leg. If I am asked, I would say it was a satisfying journey during this year's IPL. May be we fell short in the Eliminator but the effort was never lacking," the MI skipper said.

Rohit himself batted at No.4 and was often criticised for not batting higher up in the order. Asked about the decision to not promote himself, Rohit said: "You can't lead a team for selfish reasons. Yes, I got lesser number of balls to play, but such was the combination that the team needed me at that crucial No 4 position. Also once Lendl Simmons came in the playing XI, we did reasonably well at the top and I didn't want to tinker with the combinations for my own selfish reasons. You don't play cricket like that."