I am at my best right now — Kom

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi: As she embarks on her endeavour to book an Olympics berth, India's five-time world champion woman boxer M.C. Mary Kom said a podium finish in the 2012 London Games would be an apt way to bring the curtain down on her illustrious career.

"I am at my best right now and the Olympics is my biggest dream. If I win a medal there, it will set me free as far as my future is concerned. I might continue or might decide to go," she told reporters after a practice session at the Karnail Singh Stadium ahead of the ten-member team's departure for the World Championship in Qinhuangdao, China, this week.

The World Championship is the only qualifying event for this summer's London Olympics.

The 29-year-old is already a legend in women's boxing and is India's strongest medal hope in London. Women's boxing will be making its debut at London in three weight categories — 51kg, 60kg and 75kg.

"It is important [that I get the Olympic medal] but it is not everything. After fighting it out for over ten years, I have got nothing to prove," said the mother of two, who will be fighting in the 51kg category.

Kom, however, feels that even if she doesn't win an Olympic medal, it will not take anything away from her glorious decade-old career.

"Besides, if I put too much pressure on myself, I might not be able to do well. I have to take it one bout at a time," she said.

The Manipuri is expecting a tough fight in the World Championships.

"I can't take anyone lightly. I have to take each of my opponent very seriously, concentrate hard and remain confident without taking too much pressure. That's a lot of work," she said.

Optimistic

Besides Kom, Asian champion L Sarita Devi (60kg) and Pooja Rani (75kg) are the other Indians who are expected to book their ticket to this year's Olympics in their respective categories.

National coach Anoop Kumar is optimistic about their chances.

"The only hitch is the quota that are allotted for each region. Even if, say, four Asians qualify for the quarter-finals, the slots available for the region are just two. So let's see, luck will play a role but these girls are on a par with others and I am sure will do well," said Kumar.

Demoralised

Devi, who along with Kom won a gold medal at last month's Asian Championships, said she has a point to prove. Devi was asked to move up to 60kg from her original weight category of 51kg due to Kom.

"I was demoralised after being told that I could no longer compete in the 51kg division.

Jumping a division and competing within months of that requires a lot of dietary changes and it can be very punishing on the body. However, I am the adamant sort, so when I decide to do something, I do it," she said.

Devi said her performance in the Asian Championships has boosted her confidence.

"The Asian Championships was the first time I competed in the 60kg division. I did not know what would happen but I managed to pull it off and, by qualifying for the Olympics, I want to prove myself once again because I have changed five weight categories and managed to do well in all of them," she said.

Squad for World Championships:

Olympic Weight Divisions: M.C. Mary Kom (51kg), L Sarita Devi (60kg), Pooja Rani (75kg).

Other Weight Divisions: Pinky Jangra (48kg), Sonia Lather (54kg), K Mandakini Chanu (57kg), Meena Rani (64kg), Neetu Chahal (69kg), Jenny RL (81kg), Kavita Chahal (+81kg).