Gayle lends backing to captain Sammy over Board criticism

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
West Indies’ big hitting batsman Chris Gayle has backed his Twenty20 captain Darren Sammy after the latter's emotion-filled speech following their World T20 title win at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Sunday.

Gayle expressed his support to Sammy in an Instagram post that he also shared on his Twitter handle.

Gayle wrote: “Big up double #WT20#Champion captain darrensammy88 - I support and backed him a 100% with his speech, well said about WICB, WIPA needs to be shaken up as well! The struggle is real. Sammy retired from Test cricket but I haven't. However, I'm not eligible for selection for Test and ODI, think we played our last game for West Indies 2016-Hopefully 2017 the W.I fans can see us again. Thank god for the prize money because the match fee is a joke what WIPA agreed to...so I'm donating my match fees to Charity! #PayMe #Champion.”

Skipper Sammy, on Sunday, launched a scathing attack on West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) which has failed to communicate with them terming the attitude as ‘disappointing’.

Sammy was emotional as he spoke about how they are yet to hear from the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) as he made it clear that the issues with the board regarding the pay disputes are yet to be sorted.