Finn cranks up intensity to rediscover bowling rhythm

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Steven Finn, England and Middlesex paceman, on Sunday (May 29) said that he looked to bowl with intent after Tea on Day 3 of the second Test against Sri Lanka at Chester-le-Street in order to rediscover his bowling rhythm. Finn has struggled for form since returning from a side strain that he sustained before the Centurion Test against South Africa. He has taken a mere four scalps in the ongoing Test series against Sri Lanka. Even for Middlesex, he has returned rather modest figures of 12 wickets at 33.41.

Heading into the third's play in Durham, Finn again looked bereft of confidence. However, in the final session, he was involved in a verbal exchange with Kaushal Silva. It lifted Finn's sagging spirits as he bowled a quick bouncer to make the key incision by dismissing the gritty opener.

"I came out after tea trying to get into a fight and have a bit more intent on a wicket where it's not doing much for me on the length. Given my height, it can be a bit more uncomfortable," Finn said.

Commenting on his lack of form during the English summer, Finn replied: "It's hard to find something as a bowler that makes it click, when you are searching for it - maybe I've been doing that this summer because I've been desperate to be in form and rhythm.

"I still feel I'm doing a job for the team but I haven't been 100 percent good all the time, which I was in South Africa and against Australia last summer. If you are looking for rhythm you're best doing that, getting yourself in a fight at the other end of the pitch, rather than at your own. It helps take your thought process away from the pitch."

With Jake Ball, the Nottinghamshire seamer, breathing down Finn's neck, the tall fast bowler knows that he needs to perform consistently to retain his place in the side. Ball has made quite an impression in the County Championship this season by picking up 21 scalps at an average of 24.9. On his part, Finn said that he has the backing of England's think-tank.

"Everyone in the dressing room backs each other. I don't feel as though it's a system that discards players if you have a couple of bad games, it rewards people who perform consistently over a period of time. It backs young people. [Head coach] Trevor Bayliss said he would rather a player gets one game too many than one too few."