Earthquake forces Gujarat Lions players to evacuate hotel in Chandigarh

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
Gujarat Lions players were evacuated from their hotel in Chandigarh on Sunday (April 10) after tremors on an earthquake in Afghanistan were felt in several northern cities of India. The Lions, one of the two new sides in the ninth edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL) are set to open their campaign against hosts Kings XI Punjab in Mohali.

"I was sitting on the end of my bed fixing a cricket bat and it felt like the bed started to move," Andrew Tye, Australian paceman and a member of the Lions' squad, told cricket.com.au after moving out of the building.

"I was like 'what happened there' and I looked around the room and certain things were shaking, so I thought 'it must be an earthquake'. There was a bit of commotion in the hallway and we got rushed outside.

"I immediately thought back to Nepal last year around a similar sort of time. I know how devastating that was. I was more worried for other people rather than myself."

The epicentre of the earthquake is reported to be in the Hindukush mountain range on the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan and was measured 6.8 on the Richter scale.