Djokovic sets up Federer clash in Abu Dhabi

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

Abu Dhabi: World No 1 Novak Djokovic made a winning debut in the Mubadala World Tennis Championship with a 6-2, 4-6, 6-2 win over Gael Monfils of France here last night to set up a mouth-watering clash with world No 3 Roger Federer.
Earlier, in the opening match of the $250,000 (Dh918,254) winner-takes-all six-man championship, David Ferrer of Spain rallied from a set down to score a 2-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2 win over sixth seed Jo Wilfried Tsonga.
Ferrer now faces a last-four clash with his compatriot and world No 2 Rafael Nadal.
Djokovic expressed happiness over his early form, adding that he was going to defend the Australian Open next month without playing any other events.
"This tournament is considered to be the starting event for 2012," the Serbian said.
"I was working on some things throughout the match. I was trying to find a good rhythm and I think I was playing really well for this stage. I am saying that as I am not yet 100 per cent ready to perform at this level.
"I am not going to play any tournament and will be going to Australia straight from here. I will spend at least ten days preparing for the Australian Open.
"I think I have played enough matches in 2011 so I think what is more important for me is to prepare well physically and mentally for what's coming up."

Big challenge
Commenting on today's semi-final clash with Federer, Djokovic said: "It is always a challenge to play Federer whether it is a tournament or exhibition. He will always make you play well." The beaten Monfils, who was also making his debut, said, "It was a good match, the atmosphere was good and my coach is happy with my performance.
"I did play a few loose shots through the game but Djojkovic was good.
"I will be here for a couple of days and then fly to Doha. One of my aims is to get back into the top ten in 2012." In the earlier match, Ferrer took two hours and 15 minutes to set up an all-Spanish semi-final.
"It was a tough game," he said.
"I served very badly in the first set. I did not have a good feeling.
"But in the second set I don't know what happened to him [Tsonga]. Maybe he was a bit tired. In the third he also served worse.
"It is great to be playing the world's top players before the 2012 season starts."
Commenting on his chances in today's semi-final, Ferrer said, "It will be difficult against Rafael. The last time we met I lost to him and after that he was injured.
"I will have to improve all aspects of my game if I have to beat him."
The Frenchman admitted he was tired in the last set.
"It is tough playing against Ferrer who runs all over the court," said the Frenchman.
"After winning the first I should have closed it in the second.
"But once he won the second set it was tough for me."