Dilshan's future as captain looks uncertain

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Sharjah: With Sri Lanka having lost the Test and one-day series in UAE, their skipper Tillakaratne Dilshan's future as the captain is now uncertain. He was a shattered man after the defeat in Sharjah against Pakistan.

Since the 2011 World Cup, Sri Lanka has lost to England, Australia and now Pakistan. When asked whether he might be removed from the captaincy, he said: "I don't know. They appointed me until the South Africa series. Let's see how things go on."

Dilshan could not believe that despite restricting Pakistan to 200 runs and chasing the score comfortably, his team still crashed to defeat. "I cannot believe we lost seven wickets for 19 runs. I have no excuses for the failure of the batting unit," he said.

Dilshan does not know where his team went wrong. "It looks like after a very good position everyone relaxed. As a batting unit everyone should have taken the responsibility, especially after getting a good start. The batting unit has to take responsibility for the defeat," he said.

Youngsters fail to impress

Dilshan believes that his team should have won the third and fourth one-day matches. "I am really disappointed to lose the last two matches. We should have won the series but unfortunately in both the matches we lost from very good positions," he said.

Dilshan is upset the youngsters have not risen to the challenge. "We are giving youngsters opportunities but they have to grab the opportunities. At the moment, no one is utilising the opportunities and they all are just throwing away their wickets. As a captain, I like giving opportunities to youngsters and they must grab them and show to the world they are ready for international cricket."

To a query whether he will continue as captain, Dilshan said: "I have not decided. As a captain I cannot do anything. I can only ask the players to go and play. I am disappointed as a captain having lost the last three series."