Cricket: Waz and all that jazz

Lily

B.R
Staff member
4265955755.jpg
Most cherished moment

Winning the 1992 World Cup obviously. Nothing beats that. It was like a fairy tale.

What was going through his mind when he bowled the two consecutive ‘magic' deliveries that castled Allan Lamb and Chris Lewis in the final against England and swung the match in favour of Pakistan

I was pumped up when Imran handed me the ball so I don't recall much. Everybody talks about those two deliveries. Personally, I like the one which got rid of Lamb who had been at the crease for some time and looked set for a long innings. I got the ball to swing in.

Toughest batsman ever bowled to

Sunil Gavaskar. He was so technically correct, it was almost impossible to breach his defences. I played quite a few matches against him, but could get him out only once.

If he was to pick one batsman from Sachin Tendulkar, Vivian Richards and Brian Lara

I will pick Vivian Richards hands down. I have never come across anyone with a more imposing presence on the pitch than Viv. His statistical records do not measure up to him, but there never was, and I dare say, there never will be another batsman like him.

Most difficult bowler faced

Malcolm Marshall; man, he was really quick.

Biggest inspiration

Imran Khan in my cricketing years and then my late wife Huma.

Most heart-breaking moment

When I lost my wife Huma.

The longer version of the game or the shorter version

The longer version. A Test match is the ultimate test of a player's ability. Twenty20 is for entertainment. Sadly, most youngsters don't realise this and focus on the shorter version. It should instead be the other way round.

On Pakistan's chances against Sri Lanka in the ongoing series in the UAE

Sri Lanka will have the edge since Pakistan haven't played a competitive side in recent times.

On Shoaib's Akhar's autobiography where he says Sachin trembled with fear facing him

I have seen people shivering in bed when they had fever. I have never seen a player shivering with fear. But then that's Shoaib. I don't know why people take him seriously when he doesn't take himself seriously.

On London-based bookie Mazhar Majeed's claim that many cricketers are involved in spot-fixing

Who is this joker? He has been dropping names of Brad Pitt and Roger Federer and says he even knows Pervez Musharraf. Why does anyone even listen to him? It's time people listened to people with credibility.

His former compatriots Inzamam-ul Haq and Saeed Anwar have opened meat stores in Dubai. Does he have any plan to venture into a new business anytime

Not really, I am happy doing what I am as a commentator. In any case, I don't know anything about the meat business (laughs).
[/img][/COLOR]