Captaincy hasn't curbed Dilshan's aggressive instincts

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1984731380.jpg
Dubai: Sri Lankan cricket team captain Tillakaratne Dilshan has said that captaincy has not suppressed his aggressive traits as a batsman.

Dilshan who is hailed as one of the hardest hitters in the game has also been batting down the order in Test matches. "Captaincy has not changed my batting. When I reach the crease I don't think of myself as a captain but only as a batsman. When I am fielding, I do think I am the captain as I have to do a lot of things. I always stick to my game plan while batting and I won't change just it because I am a captain now," said Dilshan, who is known for his brilliant timing and strong wrist work.

Combination

"I am happy batting at No 5. Maybe I will bat up the order only if we have to play an extra batsman or when I consider changes to my 6-5 [batsmen and bowlers] combination," he said.

Dilshan is happy with the preparation for the second Test against Pakistan. "We discussed the areas to improve. We have decided to start well in the second Test." He also revealed that an intense study on how to handle Pakistan's Junaid Khan, who used the crease variations to get wickets, was also done. "We had discussions not only on Junaid Khan but all the Pakistan bowlers though Khan bowled well. We have the video clips of all the bowlers ... We have prepared really well during the last two days," he said.

Future spearheads

When asked whether he is confident that his young bowlers can take 20 wickets to win the match, Dilshan said: "I have the belief in my young bowling attack that they can do the job for us. I consider them the future of the Sri Lankan attack and I have to give them more confidence. Once they put they put their hands up they will do the job for us."

Dilshan feels that Kumar Sangakkara's match-saving double century in the first Test has shown the way for the youngsters. "Sangakkara is a class player and if he spends more time in the middle he can guide the youngsters exactly like he guided Lahiru Thirimanne for a big partnership through his experience."
[/img][/COLOR]