Capello criticises Germany for fielding players of Turkish o

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP
Capello criticises Germany for fielding players of Turkish origin

England manager Fabio Capello raised eyebrows at the Dubai International Sports conference here yesterday, criticising Germany for fielding players of Turkish origin, but stating Danny Welbeck's England role was okay despite his dual citizenship with Ghana.
Calling on Uefa to end the ‘theft of talent' which goes on between national teams, Capello expressed a gripe with talent scouts raiding other countries' youth systems, giving players passports and fielding them for their national team instead.
But, in using the example of Germany who, along with Switzerland, fielded players of Turkish origin at the last World Cup, the England manager's argument that Welbeck's case was different because he was born and brought up in England and attached to an English club began to seriously lose steam.
Serdar Tasci and Mesut Ozil of Germany and Hakan Yakin, Gokhan Inler and Eren Derdiyok were also born and brought up and attached to clubs in Germany and Switzerland. Like Welbeck, they had never played or trained under youth systems from the country of their other passport.
New rules urged
Capello said: "A line needs to be drawn. Richer clubs are talent-scouting and stealing players by bidding higher and not thinking about the consequences for those countries. These players are acquiring new passports. Germany [and Switzerland] had five of Turkish origin who opted to represent them and we all know what happened [England lost 4-1 to Germany in the 2010 World Cup quarter-finals].
"Problems need to be addressed. Decisions need to be made. Players can be bought, especially when they come from poorer backgrounds, where their families need the financial resources.
"I do not accept that, having trained as a player, a different team can pop by and steal the player from me. Uefa should pass new rules allowing people to reap the seed that's been sown [in their country] instead of having talents leave when they receive a major offer.
"I've spoken to Michel Platini [Uefa President] and he's resolute. In future, clubs will be forbidden to steal players from abroad at a very young age.
Personal decision
"The rest of the German national team players were born in Germany or have never played for the national team of their origin. But with those other five players Turkey could have performed much better.
"Sixty per cent of the Italian league is Italian, whereas in England only 33 per cent are English. But this is just globalisation. "Ghanaian journalists have asked me why I selected Danny Welbeck to play for England because now he cannot represent Ghana. But this isn't true. He was already at Manchester United. Before the selection I called his father and asked if I could select the boy.
"The father took time before agreeing to the selection. It was a personal decision, I spoke to the family and they were fine with their son playing for England. It's a decision. He was born and brought up in England."
Fifa rules already forbid the transfer of under 18-year-olds from country to country in a bid to stop players from poor countries being groomed by rich foreign clubs and given foreign passports. Capello's point to enforce this was sound, but his examples on the other hand were questionable.