Cape Town hundreds my best ever: Warner

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
He has risen to a career high number 5 in the ICC Test match batsman's rankings. And clearly he was central to the Australian victory over South Africa in the third and deciding Test match in Cape Town. Hundreds in both innings, David Warner is at an all time high.

Speaking to Cricbuzz, Warner opens up on what the victory means to him as a player and as a batsman. Excerpts from the conversation:

Boria: First, many congratulations. You seem to be doing no wrong at the moment!
David Warner: Yes fingers crossed mate. Thanks. It was a terrific win. My first away win as a member of the Australian cricket team and our first away win as a team for quite some time. And to win against the world's number one cricket team in their own conditions makes it all the more special. It was a great Test match and each of the players gave it his all. That made it a really memorable experience.

Boria: And what about personal form? You are clearly batting at your best and the impact is clearly visible with you making it to number five in the ICC Rankings?

David Warner: Yes I am batting at my best. The first innings hundred in Cape Town was by far my best Test innings. Every ball was hitting the middle of my bat. And to follow it up with a second innings hundred was indeed very special. I am full of confidence at the moment and am aware that I am in flow. The confidence is making things easier in the middle and I must say I am enjoying every bit of it.

Boria: Michael Clarke in an interview to me has just said that Australia is still not the number one team in the world but he clearly believes this team has the potential to get there. Do you share the same view?

David Warner: I absolutely do. I believe South Africa is still the world's number one team. They have played excellent cricket for some time now and deserve the ranking. But our goal is surely to get to that position and we as a team have the potential to do that. That's what we are striving towards as a group and can tell you there will not be any dearth of effort on our part to get there.

Boria: A word on the Cape Town Test match if you will. It was one of the best games you can witness.

David Warner: It sure was. It all came down to the last few minutes. Had we not won, both my hundreds would have little meaning. Ultimately it is about the team and the team only. Each of us contribute towards making the team win and while individual milestones are achieved in the process, they all make sense only if the team does well. That's what happened in Cape Town in that fantastic Test match. To see Ryan Harris finish it the way he did despite a sore knee was just incredible. It was proof how much we wanted to win the Test match.

Boria: You want to give a little credit to Candace Falzon for this amazing transformation of yours?

David Warner: Laughs. Of course mate. Since Candace and I got together I have just gained in confidence. There is so much I have learnt from her. I started training early in the morning seeing her start her days early and it worked for me. As I have said to you earlier, I asked myself if I wanted to leave cricket as a bad boy or do I want to be remembered as a very good player who played for Australia. Iopted for the latter and Candace helped me on my way.

Boria: Finally, where does David Warner go from here?

David Warner: We have a lot of very important cricket coming up. I am looking forward to the World T20 in Bangladesh. We have not won the tournament and feel we have the side to do so. Thereafter I am looking forward to the IPL and playing for my new team, Hyderabad and opening the batting with Shikhar Dhawan. It is a packed season and I want to ensure I stay fit and do the best I can for my teams in every format of the game.