Ashwin will be surprise element’

Wasim Akram predicts a close ODI series and India will be favourites, but only on paper!
By Wasim Akram

It’s misleading to call the ODI series starting Saturday a match-up between the ODI world champions and the world T20 winners. Without half-a-dozen main players that helped India clinch the World Cup earlier this year, MS Dhoni’s squad are favourites, but only on paper.

It’s going to be a close ODI series for sure and this time, I am not sure how India are going to play! I will make a comment on India only after the first ODI. I am keen to see their body language and how well they take the raging bull by the horns. Needless to say, India’s body language in the Test series was abysmal and they never looked in command. I am sure, they will look a different lot in the ODIs.

The current squad looks a better ODI unit. While Gambhir’s sad exit will definitely be costly, I think Rahane looked a positive fellow during the one-off T20 match. Rahane’s approach was exciting as he played his shots and wasn’t overawed by the English bowlers. I am told, he has a solid defence too.

There are two players I am keen to follow closely. They are Rohit Sharma and off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin. Rohit is immensely talented. He has got plenty of opportunities in the past and he seems to be in good form as well. It’s time he lives up to his promise and take advantage of the chance given to him.

Ashwin is a very good ODI and T20 bowler. His variations make him a very difficult prospect. He has a very good carom ball. Since most English batsmen haven’t played against him, Ashwin will be the 'mystery’ element and Dhoni should use him judiciously.

I can imagine the pressure on Dhoni. His wicketkeeping has been criticised and his batting has not helped him at all. He has to turn the corner or else, his existence can be at stake. I am not going to write Dhoni off. He is still the best man to captain India in all formats of the game and I do not support the two-captain policy that many have hinted after the Test debacle. The multi-captain policy doesn’t work in the sub-continent because it is important for players to be governed by a single leader rather than hearing multiple voices.

Like Dhoni, Duncan Fletcher will also be under pressure. He is not a magician and will need time to acclimatize to the Indian dressing room. Give him time, he has a good history as coach and knowing him, Fletcher will surely work hard. Let's not expect miracles now.

Dhoni has professed the rotational policy and I second him on that. Managing fatigue levels among top players is going to be key, because Indians have a packed schedule ahead and their top billing in the ICC rankings are already under threat.
India’s bowling attack will have to look sharp in the ODIs. The seamers are a cause for concern. They must improve their pace, or else they will get hammered. I am excited to see Varun Aaron. He has been playing a lot of cricket with the Emerging Team in Australia. Unlike RP Singh, he should be ready to deliver. Let’s hope for the best and goodluck, India!