All eyes on Rahane as young Mumbai opener gains ground

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1426962611.jpg
Mumbai: Ajinkya Rahane has been the flavour of the Indian cricket team for the last couple of months. After impressing the selectors with his temperament during an otherwise disastrous tour of England for the team, the young Mumbai opener has established himself well in a batting line-up as strong as India.

In the just-concluded series against England at home, he was unfortunate to miss out on a maiden century (91) at Mohali, but played his part in the hosts' emphatic win.

Rahane spoke to Gulf News on the eve of his first international match in Mumbai and his early memories of playing at Wankhede Stadium. Some excerpts:

GULF NEWS: You must be having some special memories associated with Wankhede Stadium?

AjINKYA RaHANE: Well, I made my first class debut here against Karnataka (in 2007) and played several Ranji matches at Wankhede. Yes, I have tried my best wherever I have played, but somehow, I have managed to do well here almost every time. The hundred I scored against Saurashtra in my first season here is still fresh in my mind.

How did it feel to be awarded the first Man of the Match in Mohali?

That was great! It was even more satisfying since we had won the series there. I am happy to be able to contribute to the team's cause.

Looking back at your debut international series, how was the experience in England?

It was a nice experience. Conditions were difficult but I enjoyed playing in England.

What did you learn from seniors like Tendulkar and Dravid?

Oh, it was a great learning process for me, especially with so many great cricketers around: How they prepare before an important game, how they play during the game, what are the things to look for while you are on the field, etc. And when you have so many of the greats around, it's always easy to learn.

You were asked to open the innings although you had been playing down the order for Mumbai. How did you adjust?

I knew it would not be an easy task to open the innings in international cricket. Moreover, neither Gambhir nor Sehwag was there. However, with Parthiv Patel, I had opened for the West Zone and that helped again. We told ourselves that we should try to enjoy it. We did exactly the same.

There must have been enormous pressure on you?

Well, when you are playing in international cricket and representing your country, pressure will always be there. You are watched by millions of people, and that's awesome. But I took it differently and thought it was a great opportunity for me to learn. I think I need to learn how to build an innings in a better way in the highest level of cricket.

Now that you are a member of the Indian side what are your next goals?

It's difficult to reach till this point, but it's even more difficult to stay here. You need to work hard every day, stay focused and always be on your toes. Otherwise, it will really be difficult to stay here!
[/img][/COLOR]