Choosing the right foundation is the first step to a successful makeup result. Perfect matching foundation can only be assessed by correct estimation of skin type, natural color and skin tone. Since most Caucasian, Latin, African and Asian women have yellow-based skin, they must buy foundation with a yellow base too so that it doesn't look like a mask. However, Asian women from the south-Asian region have skin with a yellow-greenish undertone and thus, need a foundation that has same color of pigment as the base. Experts often use two or more shades of foundation to highlight the best features of the face and underplay the low points. To master those skills, need a lot of practice and study. Yet, there are a few points that we can keep in mind while using the foundation at home to give the best possible results, for daily purposes:
- Blend the cream foundation smoothly using a cosmetic sponge in long sweeping motions.
- Cosmetic sponge helps you to manage and apply foundation more easily and gives a better and smoother result.
- For perfect matching, foundations should not be tested on hands or insides of your wrist as the color of your face definitely differs from the color of these areas of your body. The best way is to test the foundation on your jaw line and see whether it matches the natural color of your neck or not. Matching under different light settings gives you a better idea about the correct foundation for your skin.
- Foundation needs to be blended, properly, especially under the jaw line, into the hairline, on the ear lobes, corners of the nose and mouth and over and under the eyes, so that they don't let on the difference that the foundation makes to your skin to the viewer.
- To retouch a particular spot, reapply the foundation there lightly and blend it with the rest of the face. Then powder it lightly with the translucent powder to let it set properly.
- Touchup with dual active powder foundations can easily help you to change your look from day makeup to night makeup as it works as foundation as well as powder. For sheer finish using this foundation, you just have to dampen your cosmetic sponge a little.
- While applying liquid foundation, it is better to put small points of foundation at different parts of your face such as forehead, nose tip, chin and cheek bones and then blend a little at a time on the face to give a more finished look.
- You can use powder foundation just like the normal compact powder.