Zoya Akhtar on her 14 IIFA nomintations for ZNMD

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3469311415.jpg

You are strong contender in this year’s IIFA. How does it feel to be nominated in 14 categories?

It’s exciting, because awards are a validation of your work. It feels even better knowing that you are being awarded for your work by your own fraternity. Plus, when you win an award you are representing your crew who made the film come together. It’s a nod to the teamwork and so when I go up on stage, I am speaking for my crew and their efforts.

Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara-star Abhay Deol has been vocal about shunning award ceremonies and expressed his doubts on its veracity. Have you ever been disillusioned?

Yes, of course. There have been many instances when you see good work go unnoticed. The winners are not often judged on merit but by star power and box office success. It’s sad, but that’s how it works.

Your directorial venture Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara has become your certified blockbuster. Has life changed as a filmmaker?

Yes, now people consider me not just a good filmmaker but a viable one. When my first film, Luck By Chance released, it didn’t do well at the box office but stars did not shy away from working with me because they managed to see beyond the box office numbers. But Zindagi Milegi Na Dobara has strengthened that trust that your own colleagues and industry place on you.

Your film is up against Milan Luthria’s The Dirty Picture and Imtiaz Ali’s Rockstar. Do you consider them rivals?

There’s no harm in having some healthy competition among friends and colleagues. I am great friends with Imtiaz, Anurag [Kashyap] and other directors. But it’s good to compete with them.

Do you have a vote of thanks prepared?

Having one ready would be a bit presumptuous. But I am looking forward to catching up with friends and having a good time.

[/img][/COLOR]