You can't play your age in B'wood: Irrfan

dc16

- dEsPeraTe cRaNky -
You're doing an international soap called In Treatment.
The teaser is out. I play an Indian character called Sunil Sanyal, who's going through some crisis. He can't cope with his daughter-in-law, is dealing with the death of a near one, and is shifting to a new place. So, it's a strange situation. It's a kind of a thriller.

What makes you keep going back to Hollywood?
Hollywood throws challenges to me, takes me out of my comfort zone. Here, in a film like Thank You, the director works so hard, you don't have to do anything. You just have a good time. Yet I won't get a chance to work in a film like Thank You in Hollywood. They are too refined for that. They have mastered the craft of talking about the issue through engaging cinema. Here, most issue-based films tend to become like documentaries.

Is our cinema still escapist?
Yes. Hindi cinema originated from Parsi theatre. So, we still tend to include drama in our films. Our cinema serves a certain purpose. In cinema, we celebrate things that take us away from reality. In Thank You, for instance, Anees makes us 40-year-olds behave like kids. That's the challenge.

Do you sometimes feel Hollywood would have suited you better?
No. I have accepted whatever has been given to me. I always see the glass as half-full. I have worked towards my career to the best of my ability and have been rewarded for that.

You're the fifth and the most different Khan in Bollywood.
I don't want to hear that. I don't use my surname. It bothers me when people label you. I revolt and try to do things differently.

Like not removing the bags under your eyes?
You can't play your age in Bollywood. That's the problem. Clint Eastwood or George Clooney play their ages in Hollywood. But here people want to see a world they aspire to — where the hero is always young. But I don't want to hide my bags. I respect Rajinikanth. He never tries to pretend that uske sar pe baal hain. His fans also respect him for that.

Do you think appearances can work against you when it comes to being considered for roles?
It's never your looks. It's the effect you create. There are so many characters who are not conventionally good-looking. Yet they rule people's psyches.

Do the roles you choose affect your life?
Yes. I live with my work all the time as it's my passion. I can't do something just for the sake of earning money.

But have you never picked a film for the money?
Yes. Lots of times. You do it and then curse yourself. But one learns.

You're not called the thinking woman's sex symbol for nothing.
Where are those thinking women? I'm waiting for them (laughs). It feels good to hear that. But everyone is a thinking actor. I hope I get to meet all the thinking women fans.

You are very secular; you married someone from outside your community. What's your take on the Ayodhya verdict?
It's too immature for me to comment on that as I haven't read the whole verdict. But if one portion of the land belonged to the Hindus, the rest should have been used for making a public space, cultural space or a school. Religion is very personal. When I'm compelled to write my religion in a Government form, it bothers me. It's my relationship with God. It's no one else's business. Religion has become a tool for the government to control people.

Finally, why is Irrfan the most non-controversial Bollywood actor?
They do try to generate some stories, which I ignore. I don't talk much; maybe that's how I avoid controversies. I'm not a great conversationalist. I have seen some actors who love talking. I don't enjoy it much. I have a big problem even with marketing my films. But they say, 'Sab kar rahe hai.' So, I'm like, 'Chalo hum bhi chalte hain, thoda dugdugi bajate hain.