Tuning in a musical dream

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2216583285.jpg

Giving up financial independence to take on the erratic life of an artist is a risk that doesn't entice many talented souls. But Anees proved an exception. Despite leading a double life, by juggling corporate lifestyle along with the creative perks of an artist, for a while, he reached a point where he felt the need to pick one over the other. And after six years of intense struggle, Anees has finally completed his debut album - Mr. Unveiled at the Virgin Megastores, his music promises to be an eclectic fusion of pop, R&B, soul and house.

We caught up with the new artist on the block, via email, to tune in on his musical escapades.

My album

It's a pop album with borderline influence of R&B, soul and house. Overall, a unique package with a cohesive sound that promises to be the vibe for 2010 and beyond. An album that's smooth, radio-friendly, rich in lyrics, coupled with catchy tunes. In a nutshell, it represents my thoughts.

My music

I'd say it is retro - a rewind to the 1980s - that's euphoric, happy and energetic.

My music influences

Musical legends like Michael Jackson, Prince, George Michael, Madonna and U2 from the 1980s and Maxwell, Robbie Williams, INXS and many alternative bands of the 1990s.

The journey through the making of Mr.

It started when people with similar outlooks got together. Soon the finance was arranged, then I started work on the lyrics. And all along, reminiscing about my ambition, determination and endurance to complete my dream - this album. Overall, it was a long journey, but a rewarding one at that (emotionally, mentally and spiritually) to see it all falling into place.

My collaborative partners

Mr. would not have been possible without the support and encouragement of my recording team - co-lyricist P Gill, co-writer, composer and producer Greg Jacobs and producer Kevin Bassett.

My heritage - an interesting mix of the East and West - and its musical influences

Basically my background introduced me to a wider spectrum of artists. A good array of international sounds, styles and music genres (like Italian, French, Arabic, Latin, Asian, and so on) went a long way in grooming me. I'd say it helped me identify what people enjoy the most in a pop track.

The attempt at juggling both music and the corporate affairs

I'd say it was a rewarding experience. That's the time I learnt the basics of the music industry. Basically, a lot of ingredients go into making the tracks commercially viable. It allowed me time to work on my craft and put in extra effort to polish it.

The decision to skip the corporate route

Though I realised, at an early age, that my passion lies in music, I was unable to take it up due to financial constraints. Also, I wasn't confident enough at that time.

Obstacles and challenges

There are always ups and downs. The shortfall in finances was a major hurdle in the journey. Then, we had to revisit the songs and re-write some to fit in the harmony. An artist has to be patient and endure the challenges during the writing, recording and producing process. There's a lot of stress, sleepless nights and numerous practice sessions. Though I prefer to look at the bright side, I must admit that it wasn't a walk in the park… But, it was definitely worth every moment.

[/img][/COLOR]