Tsismis: Latest gossip in the Pinoy World

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1899306575.jpg
Sam Milby has come a long way since being the "regular" Filipino-American housemate on Pinoy Big Brother (PBB) in 2005. Back then, people thought he was just one of those "cross-breeds" trying to milk the Filipinos' penchant for anything American.

"I never really listened to criticisms before. I heard them, but I just ignored them knowing I was in PBB to have fun basically. Anything that happened after that is just one really big bonus," admits Milby, who is now filming a movie with K.C. Concepcion, the current paramour of his best buddy, Piolo Pascual.

But when Milby was thrust into cel-ebrity status, he knew early on he had to take his profession seriously, and learning to speak fluent Tagalog was important for his success. "Nag-aaral pa rin [still learning]," he says. "But I can speak with more confidence now compared to five years ago."

In fact he has been cast in a number of films in which he didn't have to play the role of a Filipino-American and he passed those acting "tests" with flying colours, proving he's not just a pretty face.

Motivation

"I guess you could say now I used the criticisms as a motivation; it's helped me a lot to be where I am now, and I am happy I took things positively. It was pretty harsh what people said," he recalls.

And one of the harshest rumours Milby had to deal with was his alleged relationship with Pascual. "It was just kind of funny; OK it was a little bit frustrating knowing Piolo and I are really good friends. It was a good thing it didn't hurt the friendship one bit," he says.

Now, when everything seems to have gone the actor's way, he is keen on going back to his roots — music. "I've always had a thing for music, and I am glad I was given the opportunity to record some songs and do a concert here and there," he says. "I'm trying to get more out of that by focusing on my music now, and I hope people will embrace my music the way they've embraced my acting."

The actor said he is currently working on his next album, which will have a mix of revivals and two original compositions. "It might take a while, because I'd really like to have something great to offer my fans," he continues.

According to Milby, "it will be about love, although I don't have a love life right now. The one I am working on now kind of reminds me of John Meyer's Love Songs for No One." He reveals that he might do a video with YouTube sensation Marie Digby, who was linked to Milby romantically previously. "Nothing happened, because I was busy and she was also busy trying her luck in the music scene in Japan," he explains.

Excited about retracing his roots, Milby hopes it will give his career a new dimension, while also showing "an aspect of my personality that's really, very Samuel Lloyd Milby...a normal teenage boy from Troy, Ohio who just happens to love music a lot," he says.

Toss Up

International pop star Charice Pempengco and American Idol Season 10 finalist Thia Megia are being considered to play the role of Kim in the movie version of the hit Broadway play Miss Saigon, which featured another Filipina singer, and Sir Laurence Olivier award-winner Lea Salonga.

But Pempengco is said to have the upper hand over Megia as talk show queen Oprah Winfrey, along with David Foster, is advising Pempengco on her career in the US. If Pempengco gets the role, it will be a big boost to her still-fledgling film career. Meantime, Pempengco is going to be a semi-regular on the next season of Glee.

Memorable journey

Kim Chiu celebrated her birthday in New York while on tour as part of the concert series of ABS Star Magic in the US. She celebrated her 21st birthday with ex-boyfriend Gerald Anderson.

While she was in the US she did a photo shoot with Hollywood actor Matt Lanter under the famed Hollywood sign in Los Angeles. Lanter is perhaps best known for his roles in TV series 90210 and as Anakin Skywalker in animated Star Wars: The Clone Wars series.

Promising career

Jericho Rosales' foray in Hollywood may have just gotten a boost. He was given a Special Artist Award for Outstanding Achievement in Acting at the recently concluded Newport Beach Film Festival for his role in Subject: I Love You. Rosales was also proud to say his film, also starring Step Up 2 star Brian Evigan, was the only film to sell out and have a second screening among the 400 films in the festival. The actor hopes he will have another chance to do a film that will be screened in US cinemas and is looking at hiring an agent to help him with his Hollywood ambitions.

Love hurts

Radio and TV personality Mo Twister looks like he is taking his break-up with actress Rhian Ramos a little too seriously. He posted a lengthy post on his Twitter account about how he misses the actress. "I saw an old strand of your hair in the shower this evening. I miss you. Good night... I've been home for days in darkness. Not going outside in case you come home. Goodnight," was just one of Twister's many emotional tweets. Ramos has so far been quiet except for a few tweets saying she had nothing to do with the break-up.

Dingdong Dantes' playlist

Song on repeat mode
Time of My Life by David Cook: "It's very relevant to what I am feeling now and where I am in my life."

One to make me cry
Tadhana by Up Dharma Down: "It's one of those songs that really get me emotional."

This one makes me move
The Club Can't Handle Me by Flo Rida featuring David Guetta: "I like the rhythm, the melody. It's a song people can dance to."

At karaoke I would sing
Just the Way You Are by Bruno Mars: "I will dedicate it to my girl and will sing it with all my heart."

Track I'd skip right now
"I can't think of anything. There's probably a lot and I don't remember because I don't play them."

[/img][/COLOR]