Tsismis: Latest gossip from the Pinoy world

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1199549334.jpg
Award-winning actor Sid Lucero says more people now call him Bagani, the character he plays on the hit prime time TV series Amaya, than by his real name.

He comes from a famous and respected clan of actors, including Gina Alajar, Michael de Mesa, Cherie Gil and Mark Gil, all known in the industry for their acting talent. Lucero's early success, with an acting nomination from the Emmys no less, proves he's got the genes... and perhaps much more.

What is your reaction when people call you Bagani instead of Sid?

I am happy of course. That means they get what I do in Amaya, that they see me more as the character that I play than who I really am.

When I hear people call me Bagani, I just smile to acknowledge what I think is a recognition of how effective I am as an actor. Nothing could be more fulfilling.

Marian Rivera has a bad reputation for being a prima donna on the set. How is it working with her?

Honestly, I see a different Marian Rivera from what people are saying. She is what she is, and for me she's actually more a playful soul than anything else.

She takes care of everyone on the set. And it's even funny because there was one heavy scene that we did. I was a little bit tense because I wanted to do so well. It was when her character died and I was supposed to be this lover swollen with grief.

I was having difficulty doing the scene, she was lying down there with her eyes closed, but she held my hand — the one not visible to the camera — as if to tell me to relax. That was something I appreciated as an actor.

The series has been extended until January. Your thoughts?

It means we are doing well, in the ratings, commercially, etc. Amaya is truly a groundbreaking epic series which has never been done on Philippine TV. Many thought it would be a dud, because it was historical and cultural and many thought it would not appeal to today's audiences. It was a big relief for everybody when it launched and it was a big success.

We've actually been extended once before — we were supposed to run only until December, but the series has had a huge impact on viewers. It's now even being made mandatory viewing for many students, and a lot of schools have visited our set to learn more about our pre-Hispanic past.

You made your mark as an actor doing indie films. We haven't heard from you since Pitas, in 2010. Any new films coming up?

I've taken a break from indie films, not by choice or anything. I love doing those kinds of films which give me more creative freedom. It's just been really busy with Amaya with our daily tapings, but now that we have enough banked, I have a lot more time to do other stuff.

I am reviewing some scripts, and there's a new series coming up with Heart Evangelista and my cousin Geoff Eigenmann. That's another project I'm looking forward to.

Baron and Yasmien at peace again

It appears that young star Yasmien Kurdi and actor Baron Geisler have let bygones be bygones.

Kurdi filed an Acts of Lasciviousness case against Baron in court after he allegedly took advantage of her during a taping for a drama series. Geisler has since figured in several other incidents and went into rehab.

He just came out recently and issued a public apology for all his transgressions. He then met Kurdi and her management team to privately settle the lawsuit.

In a press conference, Kurdi accepted Geisler's apology and said she now wants to leave the matter in the past. She also denied Geisler had paid a huge amount of money to settle the case.

Kris has a new title

Multi-media star Kris Aquino proudly announced last week she was going to be appointed an Ambassador of Goodwill for Asia by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).

Her more famous counterpart in the US is none other than Angelina Jolie. It seems Aquino's publicists are trying to put her in the league of the Hollywood superstar.

An insider from the UNHCR has confirmed Aquino requested the position, and that the high commissioner's office was not about to "decline an offer for help".

Aquino has since been quiet about the appointment.

Sarah gets her break

Half-Moroccan, half-Filipino aspiring star Sarah Lahbati finally got her wish on her birthday. She will now be appearing in the lead role of a new TV series, Kokak, on GMA.

It's a TV remake of an '80s blockbuster film with former celeb and Boracay fire dancer Rachelle Lobangco.

Lahbati could not hide her excitement at a press conference where she said she had waited a long time for this break and promised she would do her best not to disappoint her family and friends.

Lahbati will be paired with handsome actor TJ Trinidad and former Survivor Philippines winner JC Tiuseco.

Cristine — pressure relieved

Cristine Reyes was never really known as a dramatic actress until her latest film No Other Woman was released recently and became a critical and box office success.

Reyes earned rave reviews for her performance in the movie.

In a phone interview with tabloid!, the actress expressed surprise at the success of the film. She also said she was overwhelmed with the praise for her portrayal, saying, "It feels great to know that people loved the movie, and even more gratifying to learn they liked my performance. The pressure is now off."
[/img][/COLOR]