Sophia Loren: Colour me red

Lily

B.R
Staff member
848042798.jpg
It's a rare moment when Sophia Loren doesn't stand out, but this is one of them.

The Italian actress is posing for photos on the stage at the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, where she will be honoured today for her half-dozen decades in cinema.

She is head-to-toe in red, from the highlights in her hair to her boots to her Armani suit. She seems to melt into the red-curtain backdrop on the stage.

But not completely. No amount of red can hide the smile, the voice, the incredible beauty.

"I love red, because I think it is very nice," she explains. "It says, ‘Naples.' It's the vibrant life of Neapolitan people. It's the creative side of the Neapolitan people. It's life."

The Academy honoured her in 1991, with an award for her contributions to world cinema. Nevertheless, today's Academy tribute is clearly significant to Loren.

"It means a lot to an actress who has been working ... such a long time in this field," she says. "Even though I have an Oscar... when they called me from this building to invite me to another big honour, it is really very moving."

Of her work, Loren says she is perhaps most fond of Two Women and A Special Day (1977), the latter with frequent co-star Marcello Mastroianni.

"These are the two films that really made a big impact in my career," she says.
[/img][/COLOR]