Rob Lowe finds fame

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Rob Lowe is grateful for the leaked tape that showed him having sex with two women more than 20 years ago, and playfully wishes he could share in the profits of other celebrity sex videos.

The 1988 scandal is touched on in his new memoir, Stories I Only Tell My Friends: An Autobiography.

Lowe said in an interview on Tuesday it "was one of the best things that ever happened to me".

The fallout from the video prompted the former high-flying Hollywood "Brat Packer" to take stock of his life and enter rehab for sex and alcohol addiction.

Celebrity sex tapes are relatively common these days, with stars such as rocker Tommy Lee and then-wife Pamela Anderson, Paris Hilton, and Kim Kardashian inadvertently titillating millions of viewers with their peccadilloes. Lowe would like some credit. "Being a trailblazer, I think I should have a licensing fee on all future works of such import," Lowe, aged 47, joked.

"If I just had one cent of the Kardashian tape I could return and do Uncle Vanya on Broadway for the rest of my life and be perfectly content," he added.

In the often self-deprecating book, Lowe recounts his transformation from small-town kid in Ohio to teenage movie star as a member of the Hollywood "Brat Pack" alongside the likes of Charlie Sheen and Molly Ringwald.