Resul Pookutty to turn director

chief

Prime VIP
Maverick sound designer Resul Pookutty who was propelled to international fame with his skilled use of sound in Slumdog Millionaire is all set to turn director with a film starring Amitabh Bachchan.

Though Resul is reluctant to reveal details, it is apparently an emotional father-son story that Resul has been scripting for some time.

When asked about it Resul says, "It's something that I've been toying with for a long time. But to turn director I need to set aside my work in sound and devote myself entirely to that one thing. At the moment, I'm working on the sound for my second international project after Slumdog Millionaire."

The film entitled The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel to be shot in Rajasthan and other parts of India gives Resul a chance to work with the young Slumdog star Dev Patel once again. But it is the film's director John Madden that Resul is most excited to be working with.

Says Resul excitedly, "I've been in love with Madden's film Shakespeare In Love for years. And now I'm getting to work with him and some of the most accomplished British actors like Dame Judi Dench, Julie Christie, Tom Wilkinson and Peter O'Toole."

Resul is the only Indian in the crew. "Fox Searchlight who had produced Slumdog Millionaire specially asked for me. It feels like a great honour. For the first time since Slumdog...I'll be doing live sound mixing."

With projects like these coming his way, Resul finds it hard to wrench himself into a different direction.

About his debut as director, Resul says, "It's really too early to talk about it. But yes it is a very emotional father-son subject. I'm a great fan of the work of Ritwitck Ghatak and by extension a fan of Ghatak's disciple Sanjay Leela Bhansali. My film would be from that school. I love the melodrama that underlines the life of characters on screen."

Resul says he immediately thought of Amitabh Bachchan for the father-son theme. "You can't blame me for thinking of the best, can you?" says the sound designer currently enjoying the success of his sound design in Robot.