Paul McCartney's songs for the girls

Lily

B.R
Staff member
A Hard Day's Night:

In 1959 Paul McCartney would work all day and then take on a second shift as a babysitter. Not for the cash though — this second job was a ruse to spend time with one of the first girlfriends he remembers. Layla, from Liverpool, was slightly older than a 17-year-old McCartney and used to ask him to baby-sit with her.

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away:

A year later, in 1960, McCartney remembers dating Julie Arthur, the niece of English music hall comedian Ted Ray. Worried that funnyman Ray would not approve of the relationship, the pair kept it under wraps for its short-lived few months.

Ticket to Ride:

Dot Rhone, McCartney's first serious girlfriend, was asked to travel with the boys to Hamburg when The Beatles played there in 1962. Rhone met McCartney, aged 17, at the Casbah Club in Liverpool but the pair didn't start dating for a few years. McCartney encouraged and paid for her to style her hair like Brigitte Bardot, but the three-year relationship ended when Rhone suffered a miscarriage.

Yesterday:

It was only with hindsight McCartney realised he may have made a mistake when he broke up with Jane Asher. McCartney first met the British actress in April 1963, when a photographer asked them to pose together at a Beatles performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Yesterday, And I Love Her, You Won't See Me and I'm Looking Through You were all inspired by Asher, who is now best known in the UK for baking cakes. The five-year relationship ended with a broken engagement when Asher apparently discovered McCartney in bed with scriptwriter Francie Schwartz.

I Lost My Little Girl:

McCartney's true love was Linda Eastman, who he married in 1969 and who died from breast cancer in 1998. McCartney met the American photographer in 1967 at The Bag O'Nails club. McCartney said Linda was the woman who gave him "the strength and courage to work again" after the break-up of The Beatles. The couple raised four children: Linda's daughter Heather (adopted by Paul), photographer Mary, fashion designer Stella and musician James.

Money (That's What I Want):

Heather Mills famously married McCartney in 2002. She perhaps more famously divorced him in 2008, two years after they split, for an attempted £125 million (Dh751 million). After a six-day trial, at which the former model and anti-landmines campaigner represented herself, she eventually got £16.5m, together with assets of £7.8m, which included the properties she owned at the time. The total was £24.3 million, plus payments of £35,000 each year for a nanny and school costs for their daughter Beatrice.

All You Need Is Love:

"I just like being in love," McCartney told reporters this week after proposing to girlfriend of four years Nancy Shevell. The New Yorker was married for more than 20 years to lawyer Bruce Blakeman, whom she divorced in 2009.

She is also the vice-president for administration of New England Motor Freight Inc, a New Jersey-based trucking company owned by her father, and has a bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Arizona State University, where she majored in transportation. Transport is clearly her thing as she is also a member of the board of the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Speculation is rife over whether the pair should sign a pre-nuptual agreement in order to avoid more golddigging in the Mills vein — although with Shevell's reported inheritance of £250 million, that hopefully won't be necessary.