Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Awards

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3941306657.jpg

Johnny Depp showed his appreciation for his Kids' Choice Award with a sliming.

After earning the blimp-shaped favourite movie actor trophy for his Mad Hatter role in Alice in Wonderland, Depp manned a hose and unleashed waves of green goop on the screaming crowd of more than 10,000 kids — and a few adults.

"You guys are the future," he said on Saturday before spraying the slime inside University of Southern California's Galen Centre. "Take good care of us."

The screaming mob at Nickelodeon's 24th annual fan-favourite ceremony later revolted by flicking the goo at Modern Family co-star Rico Rodriguez and Arthur leading man Russell Brand as they presented Eddie Murphy with the award for favorite voice from an animated movie for his role in Shrek Forever After.

Rodriguez and Brand struggled to recite their introduction as the green stuff was slung at them.

"Johnny, I wish you'd drowned them!" screeched Brand.

Mob-style

Jack Black, the zany master of ceremonies, kicked off the silly show by arriving in a monster truck, performing a flash mob-style routine on the orange carpet, then dancing alongside the Black Eyed Peas, who crooned a medley of their tunes while sporting outfits made of colorful blocks. He announced that more than 200 million votes were cast for the show.

Other winners included The Karate Kid for movie, The Karate Kid co-star Jackie Chan for butt-kicker, Despicable Me for animated movie, iCarly for TV show, Wizards of Waverly Place star Selena Gomez for TV actress, The Suite Life on Deck co-star Dylan Sprouse for TV actor, iCarly co-star Jennette McCurdy for TV sidekick, American Idol for reality TV show, SpongeBob SquarePants for cartoon and Just Dance 2 for video game.

"Thanks for voting until your fingers were sore," screamed McCurdy. "Grandma, that's you!"

In the music categories, the winners of blimp-shaped trophies were the Black Eyed Peas for music group, Katy Perry for female singer and Justin Bieber for male singer and song for Baby. The favourites in the sports categories were two-time Olympic gold medalist ski racer Lindsey Vonn and Boston Celtics basketball center Shaquille O'Neal.

Several celebrities received their own sliming. Heidi Klum was blasted with goop from an envelope. Jane Lynch delivered a slime slushie to Jason Segel, while Snoop Dogg was doused after performing with boy band Big Time Rush.

Josh Duhamel, who dressed up as an absentee Bieber, was inducted into the Arm Fart Hall of Fame and crowned in a slime throne.

Miley Cyrus, who was honored as favourite movie actress for The Last Song, missed the green goo.

"Thank you for not sliming me," she said.

Justin Timberlake was awarded the show's silver Big Help trophy for his environmental and charitable work. He encouraged the audience to stand and scream if they've ever been helpful in their lives and encouraged children to listen to their parents.

Past winners of the humanitarian honour have included Leonardo DiCaprio and first lady Michelle Obama.

* Heidi Klum was blasted with goop from an envelope, presenters Russell Brand and Rico Rodriguez; Josh Duhamel was crowned in a slime throne.
* Two-time Olympic gold medalist ski racer Lindsey Vonn was among the favourites in the sports categories; presenters Steven Tyler and Miranda Cosgrove.
* Justin Timberlake was awarded the show's silver Big Help trophy for his environmental and charitable work; Jaden Smith accepts the favourite movie award for The Karate Kid and Wizards of Waverly Place star Selena Gomez won favourite TV actress.
* Johnny Depp won the favourite movie actor for his Mad Hatter role in Alice in Wonderland while Eddie Murphy won the favourite voice from an animated movie for his role in Shrek Forever After.

A giant sense of surprise

Marjorie Cohn, Nickelodeon’s president of development and original programming, admitted celebs are usually given a head’s up if they’re due for a sliming but promised that no one can truly anticipate the green goop.

“Everybody knows if they’re going to be slimed, but nobody exactly knows what it’s going to feel like or how they’re going to respond to it,” teased Cohn. “There’s still a giant sense of surprise. No one rehearses being slimed. You can’t really imagine the feeling of that coldness dripping through your clothes and into every pore of your body.”

Lack black

Jack Black was hosting for the third time. Ahead of the show, the zany star of such films as Kung Fu Panda and Gulliver’s Travels promised “a huge opening number” and several costume changes.

“I’m going to break the record for amounts of costume changes in one night,” boasted Black, who was sporting a simple red T-shirt and black shorts during rehearsals on Friday afternoon. “I’m going to put Madonna and Cher to shame because I’m going to be changing in the middle of presentations. I’m going to try to have a different outfit every 38 seconds.”

Fergie has a new fetish: slime

Ahead of the 24th annual Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Award, the glamorous Black Eyed Peas’ frontwoman said she’s become strangely curious— and a little afraid — of what the infamous goo will feel, smell and taste like. She donned a custom-made outfit for a kid-friendly medley with her fellow Peas (pictured), marking the group’s first time at the slimy ceremony.

“We’ve always been on tour every year,” lamented Fergie before the group’s rehearsal on Friday. “My mum would call me and say, ‘You know you’re nominated for Kids’ Choice Awards.’ I would watch the show on the internet, and it would make me sad that we couldn’t be there. This is a special moment for us to be able to come to this particular award show and rock it.”

[/img][/COLOR]