MAMI: International Competition Directors Press Conference

chief

Prime VIP
The Press Conference started with Mr. Narayan, Director of MAMI, welcoming the panellist of International directors who are participating in the MAMI Film festival. Narayan thanked and admitted that he has seen each of their films and if it was in his power, he would felicitate each one of them in this film festival. He also promised them that on a personal level he will help them- to promote and distribute their movie, if ever need be.

The Panelist consisted of Babar Nayafi (Director of Seebe), Michael Noer (Director of :R), Screen Yuce ( (Director of: Majority), Anocha ( (Director of Mundane History), Florin Serban (Director of If I want to Whistle, I Whistle), Vardi's Marinak and George (Directors of Black Feild), Aamir Bashir (Director of Autumn), Sebastian Astore (Director of A Stone throw away), Daniel Vega (Director of October), Su Turban (Director of AYLA), Oliver (Director of Sweet Evil)

Most of these directors are representing their very first film. They gave a brief introduction about the plot of their movies and shared their experiences. All of them told the audience about how they have invested years together, every ounce of their energy, emptied their pockets and faced marketing challenges for their movies.

There were things which they would even want to go back to change: Michael mentioned he was nervous all throughout especially with the thought of the huge money which was riding on the movie. He would rather not be so nervous and enjoy the journey of making his first film. Babar through laughter said "I was young and beautiful and young when I started the project. It took me 5 long years to shoot this film. I would like to edit the no. of yrs."

The audience was particularly keen to know about Aamir Bashir's movie which depicts the issues of Kashmir and his views. Aamir mentioned that his movie is the first attempt to show what actually is happening in Kashmir. He points out that all other films made on Kashmir have a bollywood formula which involves good vs. evil, there are songs and dances. He quotes "The way bollywood filmmakers project the situation of Kashmir is not only untruthful but it is not respectful". The problems of Kashmir are complex and even the experts get flummoxed.

Anocha was asked by the audience that if as a film maker she faces gender bias in Thailand. She admitted that in Thailand there are very few women film makers, and that is slowly changing. She also said that maybe on the skin industry people are welcoming but it is difficult to make your work being noticed.

The panellists were from diverse countries Thailand, Germany, Sweden, Turkey, Mexico to name a few. Every country has a different style of living, different rules, different society issues and the panellist shared stories and government policies which aided or made their life difficult.

They are all looking forward to the jury's decision and keeping their fingers crossed.