Live a little with Goldfish

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3394598548.jpg

Whoever says you can't have it all clearly hasn't met Goldfish. That's Dominic Peters and David Poole, who have summer all year long.

The two South Africans spend six months a year in Ibiza, six months in their hometown, Cape Town, and in-between jet off around the world to take their dance beats to places as diverse as the US, UK, Japan, France, Namibia, Malawi and Seychelles, and perform with the likes of Fatboy Slim, Audio Bullys, Stereo MCs, Mr Scruff, Paul van Dyk and Pete Tong.

They're bringing those beats to Dubai on Friday, supporting Faithless at Sandance at Nasimi.

The duo both studied jazz and do the production, while Peters is responsible for double bass, keyboards and groove box. Poole plays the tenor and soprano sax and takes care of the samplers, effects, mixing and engineering.

Released in 2009, Perceptions of Pacha set a new South African Music Awards record for most nominations, earning Goldfish eight nominations, including Best Duo or Group and Album of the Year. They took home the awards for Best Producer and Best Dance Album.

Their latest album is Get Busy Living.

tabloid! caught up with Peters ahead of their performance here.

Why Goldfish?

Dave was always joking about my bad memory when we were studying at university. I was always losing my phone, forgetting my keys etc. I had other things on my mind, okay?!

The name Goldfish kinda stuck and when we started the band it just seemed like the right thing for the project. Plus it's a pretty hard name to forget.

Give us a quick intro to your music. What can people who've never heard of you expect?

We get this a lot: "I normally hate dance music, but I love you guys."

We combine live instruments like sax, vocals, flute, double bass and keyboards with electronic beats into a jazzy-house-electronica-good-time made with love all the way from Cape Town, South Africa.

Have you been to Dubai before?

We've actually been to Dubai quite a few times over the years, and always have a blast. It's a great mix of people and that is what makes it a great city to visit. Although we once got stuck in Dubai airport for 18 hours, thanks to a dust storm. That was particularly awesome.

Your music's very upbeat and positive. Will you ever do anything more sombre?

Ha ha! Just make a few bad decisions in our personal lives and I'm sure we could write a few dirges... Not gonna happen, though.

What's the worst thing about spending half the year in Ibiza?

No surf! We are mad surfers, but Ibiza is like a lake in summer. If Ibiza had real surf we'd probably live there for sure. It's an amazing island and has so much to offer, other than the clubs.

You're supporting Faithless in Dubai, as you did in South Africa in February. How do you get on with the group?

We get on great. We've actually been lucky enough to play with Faithless quite a few times over the past couple of years and we just keep bumping into each other. Our sounds complement each other very well so it makes sense, really.

Maxi [Jazz] and Sister Bliss are some of the nicest people you'll ever meet and it's always a pleasure to catch up, share some Ibiza gossip and just hang out.

What's been your best gig thus far?

That is a tough question. We've had so many amazing shows all over the world and it really feels like a special time for Goldfish with all the touring finally paying off. We've had some crazy shows all over, from Ibiza to Brazil, the US, UK, Holland and of course our home country, South Africa.

I think this show with Faithless on the Palm is going to be up there with the best, though.

Is there any venue or festival you're dying to play?

We've been pretty lucky with our wishlist so far. On the radar is Coachella! It's going to happen.

If they were to make a movie of your life, who should play you?

Only just getting going in life, so will have to answer that question when there's something to tell!

Tell us about a situation in which you've been like a fish out of water.

Getting chased out of the surf by a very big shark. We live on the edge in South Africa.

[/img][/COLOR]