Kunal Kohli: Writing Teri Meri Kahaani was difficult

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Indian director Kunal Kohli says it was three times more difficult to write his upcoming love story with Priyanka Chopra and Shahid Kapoor starrer, which plays out in 1910, 1960 and 2012.

“It was three times more difficult to write Teri Meri Kahaani. I wanted to connect these three stories and keep some of it in the past and still make it youthful and modern. I wanted it to appeal to everyone. So I have created humour and situations which would be liked by everyone,” the Hum Tum director said.

Kohli says he chose the era of 1910 because he wanted to show a different take on the freedom struggle. Chopra plays a Punjabi woman in the segment, while Kapoor is a playboy.

“Everyone takes a very serious approach to that part of the history. It is unromantic and non-colourful. My attitude to the freedom movement was different. Shahid plays a complete Casanova. I thought it would be interesting to show a character like this in the middle of freedom movement.”

While recreating pre-independence India was tough, Kohli had more fun working on the disco era of the 1960s Bollywood. It is full of references to his favourites, the actors who ruled Bollywood at that time.

“It was tough but great fun. I was remaking an era where I was bound to get influenced by people like Raj Kapoor, Shammi-ji, Dilip Kumarji and Dev Anand. You will see a little bit of all these stars. We created make-up, studios and trams of that era.”