Joseph Fowler: 'Stick at it'

Lily

B.R
Staff member
893201192.jpg
When I asked director Joseph Fowler his age, he replied: "How very dare you", a response which screamed the theatrics of stage over screen.

The British-born stage veteran has worked alongside Joseph Fiennes, Liza Minelli and is best friends with Shirley Bassey. Most would be intimidated by him, which doesn't bode too well considering if you fancy a role in Dubai's latest musical West Side Story you have to stand up in front of him.

"One of my earliest memories was of participating in a regional dance competition, aged eight," said Fowler.

"I had a solo in which I sang and danced. In my category, I was the only boy. I was really nervous and I remember my starting pose was on my knee. The music started and I froze. I forgot the words and had no idea what to do. It was awful."

He is human after all and after what felt like an eternity, he stood up and just started to move until his words and the steps came back. "They did, thank goodness."

tabloid! caught up with Fowler to talk about qualities he is looking for in the coming auditions and the famous faces he's worked with.

Describe the feeling of performing on stage in front of hundreds of people?

Thrilling and very exciting. One of the most amazing moments I have experienced is when I was invited to dance the lead male role, the prince, in the ballet Nutcracker in Tokyo. The theatre was huge and completely full. When I appeared on stage for the first time, there was a moment when the house lights were raised so that I could see all the public. It was really overwhelming to see so many people.

What does Dubai have to offer and what specific qualities are you looking for in the coming auditions?

There is so much great talent in Dubai and I am so proud to be part of the initiation of the Spotlight Academy at Ductac as this unique programme creates once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for the local talent.

It is important to remember auditions are not just about how talented you are or if you fit the role description, they are also an opportunity for a director to see whether he/she wants to work with you. What I will be looking for at the auditions will be individual personalities and people that come along and have fun. Fun is exciting, and exciting gets hired. I will be looking for people that aren't shy.

How would someone really impress you?

I am always in admiration of someone who can stand alone on a stage and perform. Although I did it for years it never fails to impress me. If someone comes to audition, boldly stands in front of me and performs with confidence and enthusiasm then that's enough to blow my socks off.

You've worked with some famous faces.

Each experience is unique. I actually performed with Rossy de Palma. She was a lot of fun, very eccentric and incredibly funny too. I worked with both Kristin Scott Thomas and Joseph Fiennes for a film called Man to Man. This was my first time working on such a big film and it was a great learning curve for me, especially as I went on to work with Luc Besson afterwards for Arthur and the Invisibles.

I have also worked with Liza Minnelli, Mika and Dame Shirley Bassey. My most treasured memory was when I first met Dame Shirley. It was at a very intimate dinner that her agent organised. I couldn't quite believe I was about to meet such a legend, but she made me feel very comfortable and we spent the evening chatting like we had known each other for years. I went on to direct and choreograph several events for Dame Shirley and today we have become friends which is lovely to be able to say.

What's the best piece of advice you would give to any aspiring actor/director?

Stick at it. The life of a performer is very tough. I think the most important thing to do is to remain true to yourself and to keep moving forwards. Embrace the "ups" and take the "downs" with a large pinch of salt, but never give in.

As the saying goes "break a leg". Have you ever had any accidents on stage (or behind it)?

I actually slipped a disc on stage and also twisted my knee quite badly too. Not in the same show, thank goodness.

Which is the most difficult character to cast in any production?

That depends on the production in question. When casting a show, you have a very clear idea as to what you are looking for. The role itself normally dictates a lot in regard to age, height, physical appearance and origin.

When you're having a "director's moment" how do you relax and calm yourself?

I listen to music. I isolate myself, sit down and listen to something other than the show I'm working on. Often it's either classical music to soothe or music from the next production.
[/img][/COLOR]