Jackie's biggest desi opening!

Android

Prime VIP
Staff member
By Hindustan Times

New Delhi, June 20 -- Sony Pictures' remake of the 1984 cult blockbuster, The Karate Kid, has got the biggest opening for any Jackie Chan film in India and the US. The film that stars Chan and Will Smith's son Jaden, released in India last week.

"We are expecting the numbers to go up in the coming week following positive word-of- mouth publicity. Many shows drew full houses during the weekend," exults Kercy Daruwala, managing director, Sony Pictures.

According to the production major, the film grossed $56 million in its first weekend worldwide. "Of this, $1 million (Rs 4.5 crore) came from the English and dubbed Hindi and Tamil versions, making it the highest grossing Jackie Chan film in India," says a source from the production house.

Meanwhile, Bollywood has been tweeting about it. Neil Nitin Mukesh says it's a "must watch", Maria Goretti (Arshad Warsi's wife) called it "awesome" and says "that little Jaden is a treat, his mum must be beaming with pride and his dad must be saying "he is just like me"."

Salman Khan posted: "Sohail (brother Sohail Khan) saw Karate Kid with his kid Nirvaan and they both have loved it." Sophie said, "Mr Miyagi & original Karate Kid were so brill. I never thought that magic could be recreated. Boy was I wrong! Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan ROCK!!"

The makers had targeted Tamil Nadu, because of its huge and Chan-fan base. Encouraged by the overwhelming response in this Southern state, they are now coming up with a dubbed Telugu version, which will open in the theatres on July 2.