It's all in the family

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1802375120.jpg
Bob Dylan's teenage grandson is entering the music business, not as a folk troubadour or even simply going electric but as a rapper. "He feels strongly about my music," Pablo Dylan said, "and I love him to death."

Dylan is the son of Jesse, Bob's eldest. Just 15 years old, Pablo recently released his first hip-hop mixtape, 10 Minutes, which you can download from his website. He and his grandfather "do two different things", Dylan told AllHipHop (via Rolling Stone), but Bob is "definitely" an influence, "from a musical and personal standpoint".

"Everyone around me influences me, and I have learned so much from him just listening to his records," Dylan said.

For Dylan, Bob is just another part of the canon. "I consider him the Jay-Z of his time," he said. "[He] has a legacy that a lot of people look up to." While someone should remind Dylan that his grandfather's time isn't quite over, his 70-year-old mentor may already be acquainted with Dylan's scene.

Although Bob has yet to appear on a rap single by Dylan, Jay-Z or anyone except Kurtis Blow, he has demonstrated an ear for hip-hop, name-dropping Alicia Keys in 2006, and mentioning Public Enemy in his memoir.

Judging from his first single, Top of the World, Dylan probably prefers the new Chipmunk single to Mr Tambourine Man. It's full of Auto-Tune and angst from an Eminem fan not yet old enough to drive. "Understand I really do come from scrutiny/ and mutiny/ 'cos my people turned their back on me," he raps. "I'm the grandson of a man/ nothing less than legendary," he continues, "that's a lot of pressure/ so I Berry Gordy/ I am very Motown No, we don't understand that one either.
[/img][/COLOR]