'It's a city of rumours'

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3629676484.jpg
Musician Wyclef Jean said on Sunday that a bullet grazed his hand as he stepped out of a car to make a telephone call, but said he was only slightly injured.

Jean, who has been in Haiti helping the presidential campaign of his friend and fellow musician Michel "Sweet Micky" Martelly, said the bullet grazed him late on Saturday night as he stepped out of his car in the Delmas section of the capital, Port-au-Prince, to make a call on his mobile phone.

"The way I can explain it is that the bullet grazed me in my right hand," Jean said. "I heard blow, blow, blow, and I just looked at my hand."

Jean, who was with a driver and the Haitian hip-hop singer FanFan at the time, said he didn't know who fired the shots, or whether they were directed at him. He said he got out of the car to have a private conversation. He heard the shots and looked down to see blood on his shirt and sneakers.

The Haitian-American performer said he was treated at a local hospital and released. Jean said he took antibiotics and recovered at an "undisclosed location" before going out to vote in the presidential election.

Haitian police chief Mario Andresol told reporters that he wasn't sure what happened during the shooting and that Jean didn't talk to police. "We can't tell you if he was injured by a bullet or something else," Andresol said. "He will have to answer to police no matter what."

Later, Jean was asked by reporters to comment on rumours that he had been injured by broken glass, not a bullet. "This is Haiti — it's a city of rumours," he said as he went to vote. "There's another one with me and Busta Rhymes in the car."

[/img][/COLOR]