I’m doing intense scenes: Omi Vaidya

Android

Prime VIP
Staff member
By Hindustan Times

It’s been over a year since the release of 3 Idiots, which catapulted Chatur Ramalingam to fame. And after that, Omi Vaidya, whose balaatkar speech in the Rajkumar Hirani movie, 3 Idiots, has missed spending time with his wife Meenal, who’s away in Los Angeles, completing her Ph.D in Public Health. No wonder he is thrilled to fly to the US, to spend this Christmas and New Year with her.

“I’ve been eagerly looking forward to celebrating with my wife. Since she’s doing her Ph.D, she couldn’t spend too much time in Mumbai, where I’ve been hosting television shows and award functions, apart from shooting for my next two films,” says Vaidya. Currently promoting his forthcoming comedy, Dil Toh Bacha Hai Ji, the actor recalls his apprehensions about the role. “But Madhur (Bhandarkar) was confident, so I agreed.”

omi vaidyaHowever, shooting his scenes wasn’t easy. Because impromptu changes would be made in the dialogue for improvement and he would take time to get them right. “I’ve been working on my Hindi the whole year, but sometimes it does take time to get new words correct. Besides, my character Milind is a Maharashtrian, and that required me to speak Marathi in some scenes,” reveals Vaidya. “If there’s any error in pronunciation, we can always correct that while dubbing,” he points out.

Vaidya is not perturbed about being stereotyped in comic roles. He asserts that he has done some really intense scenes in Dil Toh Bacha Hai Ji. The actor, who also has Abbas-Mustan’s Players with Abhishek Bachchan, Sonam Kapoor and Bipasha Basu next, concedes that he supplies the light moments in the action thriller. “I’m playing a Punjabi character, and having started shooting for it, I’m a lot more comfortable than I was while portraying Chatur in 3 Idiots and Milind in Dil Toh…. I don’t think the audience wants me to do something drastically different, as long as I go about it gradaually,” he reasons.

Interestingly, Vaidya is also a trained editor and has even directed a couple of short films. He owes his acting abilities to these technical aspects of filmmaking. “Editing taught me how to write, to make things concise. And because of it, I learnt different aspects of acting, that can’t be learnt in an acting school,” he says. He also aspires to direct a movie in Bollywood some time in the future. But first, he wants to make good money. “So that I can give my family a good life,” concludes the actor, who’s also planning to start a family after his wife Meenal completes her doctorate.