Hum Tum Shabana

Lily

B.R
Staff member
973905766.jpg
Director Sagar Bellary, the man behind this weekend's mad caper Hum Tum Shabana (HTS) was not being snide when he said his leading pair could easily be perceived as losers. Starring Bollywood's go-to man for underdog roles, Tusshar Kapoor, and his comic sidekick Shreyas Talpade, the Bheja Fry director is convinced that big Bollywood names would have stripped his latest manchild comedy of its soul.

"I knew the way the story was going that the film belonged to men who refuse to grow up. Shreyas and Tusshar have that perception of being losers — big stars don't really get that," said Bellary, who tasted success with his 2007 comedy Bheja Fry, which became the sleeper hit of that year.

Perhaps Bellary has a point. After all, Kapoor and Talpade are best known for their buffoonery in the hit comedy franchise Golmaal. In HTS, the two play corporate executives who are arch rivals in the boardroom. To make matters worse, they find themselves in love with the same girl, Shabana (Minnisha Lamba), and each is intent on winning over her love.

"I take Sagar's observations as compliment. It goes to show that we have no image attached to us," said Talpade, adding that he fits the underdog bill perfectly.

"As an actor, it's a good space to be in. You are not predictable as an actor," he added, but only after conceding that the tag made him feel "slightly vulnerable". His on-screen rival Kapoor supports him here.

"Golmaal gave me a lot of fame. But people generally feel that comedy is not serious business. Hopefully Hum Tum will change that perception because it's not one of those comedies that tell you to leave your brains at the door."

Star-power

Kapoor, the son of legendary actor Jitendra and brother of TV serial production honcho Ekta Kapoor, is also aware that unlike his previous ensemble projects such as Golmaal, which had A-listers including Ajay Devgn and Kareena Kapoor in the lead, Hum Tum relies on his questionable star-power.

"I try not to think about it. But thanks for reminding me again," he quipped.

But director Bellary is convinced that the treatment will elevate the seemingly hackneyed love-triangle to great heights. "I have seen some scenes of Shor in the City, and Tusshar displayed such brilliance as an actor. Tusshar and Shreyas complement each other."

The director may have superlative words to speak of his cubs, but the actors were disarmingly honest when tabloid! asked them whether the rumours of the two not getting along were true.

"Just to clarify, there's no issue as such," said Kapoor. "We are not the best of friends, nor do we hang around with each other after wrap-up. We are professionally cordial and that's about it. I hope that camaraderie gets translated on screen as well."

Talpade, who has acted in critically acclaimed films such as Iqbal and Well Done Abba, couches it better. "It's our fourth film together and a rapport is certainly created. Comedy is a lot about action-reaction. There are no inhibitions or apprehensions — if I want to go up to him and discuss a scene, I do it without any problem."

Between the two, it's Kapoor who has an edge, since he comes from an influential production house that makes television family dramas.

"At the end of the day, it's all about merit. I have never tried to ride on my father's or sister's success. If you are not talented, no one can help you," pointed out Kapoor.

He adds that he makes it a point to sign films that are not produced by his family members.

"Hum Tum's script appealed to me and I felt I could do justice to it. It didn't matter whether it was not my banner that was producing it. We will know soon whether I chose right."
[/img][/COLOR]