Hollywood heavyweights at Doha Tirbeca

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Doha: He's usually a man of few words on the red carpet but that didn't stop him springing into action at the Doha Tribeca Film Festival Thursday.

Anticipation built as the region's media and fans waited patiently to catch a glimpse of Robert De Niro, in town for the Middle East premiere of his latest film, Stone.

Waving to the crowds and stopping briefly for photographers De Niro gave a number of interview with local and international media at Katara Opera House.

"It's such a big question to ask the role most close to my heart," he said with a smile. "Every role I did was my best work at that time. Now the thing I can say is most dear to my heart is my children. They are my best work yet."

Earlier that night Slumdog Millionaire star Freida Pinto graced the red carpet in a stunning minty green gown with her co-stars from Miral. Director of the Palestinian-set movie, Julian Schnabel, also attended in his usual choice of attire, which look suspiciously like a pair of purple pajamas.

The hustle and bustle of the red carpet continued late into the evening while in the Katara Open Air Theatre things were a little more chilled.

An audience of more than 2,000 enjoyed a screening of 1920s movie A Throw of Dice accompanied with a live score composed by renowned musician Nitin Sawhney and the Qatar Philharmonic Orchestra.

"I am so excited to be in Doha," said Sawhney who has performed the music from New Zealand to Canada over the past three years. "I have been so impressed with the standard of the musicians in the orchestra. They are young, talented and very enthusiastic."

The Doha Tribeca Film Festival continues today (Fri) with panel discussions and red carpet gala screenings of Bahij Hojeij's Here Comes The Rain and On The Path by Jasmila Zbanic.