Despicable Me - Review

chief

Prime VIP

It's been a year of animated success, with the likes of, "How To Train Your Dragon", and , "Toy Story 3", reigning supreme at the box office.

The newest entry into the genre is, "Despicable Me". Released by Universal and featuring the vocal talents of Steve Carell, Russell Brand, and Jullie Andrews, Despicable tells the story of, Gru, a super-villain whose latest plan involves shrinking and stealing the moon.

Times are tough for Gru though, as the Bank Of Evil will no longer finance his evil schemes, choosing instead to go with a younger, smarter villain named, Vector, voiced by Jason Segel (How I Met Your Mother). Determined to go ahead with his moon plan, Gru adopts 3 little girls to help him steal a shrinking device from Vector.

What follows is a heart-warming, beautifully spun tale that will appeal to kids and adults alike. The animation is bright and colorful, and the 3-D effects are not completely overdone so as not to take away from the story being told. Carell is almost unrecognizable as Gru, adopting a heavy European accent and abandoning almost all of his usual schtick. The same can be said for Julie Andrews as Gru's overbearing mother, and Brand as the evil old sidekick, Dr. Nefario.

So, pack up the kids and head to your local cineplex for a little bit of family movie magic.

4 stars out of 5