Demi Lovato reveals: 'I am bipolar!'

Lily

B.R
Staff member
2803971599.jpg

Teen star Demi Lovato has opened up about the demons which saw her enter rehab, after she punched one of her backing dancers in the face during last year’s Jonas Brothers world tour.

The 18-year-old Sonny With a Chance actress and singer, was kicked off the tour in November last year, after an altercation with backing dancer Alex Welch on the plane out of Colombia, when Demi accused Alex having told her parents and manager about the extent of her party lifestyle.

But sources also revealed that Demi was devastated that her recent ex, Joe Jonas had chosen to bring his new girlfriend, Twilight’s Ashley Greene on the tour, amid claims Demi still wasn’t over him.

“I never found out until I went into treatment that I was bipolar,” Lovato told People. Adding, “Looking back it makes sense. There were times when I was so manic, I was writing seven songs in one night and I’d be up until 5:30am.”

Demi’s acting career began at the age of seven, when she appeared on US TV show Barney & Friends, and the precocious star also started learning the piano. Movie roles soon followed with Princess Protection League and Camp Rock, as well as her own TV show, Sonny With a Chance. However, rumours soon started circulating Hollywood that the teen star was out of control and was drinking, partying hard and taking drugs.

“I basically had a nervous breakdown,” she admits of the altercation with Welch. “I was really bad off. My parents and my manager pulled me aside and said, ‘You need to get some help.’ It was an intervention. I wanted freedom from the inner demons. I wanted to start my life over.”

Having battled bulimia, anorexia, self-harming, the effects of being bullied as a child and depression, the star, who stayed in rehab for three months, has now quit her hit show, saying it “wouldn’t be healthy for my recovery.”

“I feel like I am in control now where my whole life I wasn’t in control,” she said last week. “I have come to realise that just making yourself happy is most important. Never be ashamed of what you feel. You have the right to feel any emotion that you want, and to do what makes you happy. That’s my life motto.”

Good luck, Demi, we’re rooting for you!
[/img][/COLOR]