Businessman Raj Kundra puts up a fight

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1573164139.jpg
Businessman Raj Kundra has collaborated with actor Sanjay Dutt for India's first professional Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) league called Super Fight League (SFL). He says the idea is to provide audiences with some action-packed entertainment as well as to promote young talent in this field.

"I used to watch a lot of action movies and I felt this country loves action. So there is room for something that can really be watched as a live sporting event," said Kundra, who married Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty in 2009.

Kundra approached Dutt with the concept. "MMA has been in US for the past 10 years. I went to Sanjay Dutt and said ‘I want to launch this sport'. He said ‘I also watch it every night... let's go and do it'. Since he has partnered with me, everything has been smoother and people are enjoying it," he added.

MMA is a full contact combat sport, and includes boxing, wrestling, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Muay Thai, kickboxing, karate, judo and other fighting styles.

Kundra, who is also a co-owner of Indian Premier League (IPL) team Rajasthan Royals, says SFL is an attempt to make martial arts get recognised as a second sport in the country.

"We are a part of the country where a billion people live. We can't run the country on one league. We need to give them something else.

"Keeping fit, six pack abs, fights is all part of this age, so why not give a platform to make money out of it and not just give everything to cricket," he said.

SFL matches have already taken place in Mumbai and Chandigarh, and the third match was held in the capital yesterday.
[/img][/COLOR]