Bryan Adams to perform in Pune in Feb

The artiste with the famed gravelly voice is set to make Pune his first port of call on his tour of Asia early next year. Canadian rockstar Bryan Adams, who needs no introduction really, will perform in a 90-minute concert at the Amanora Township at Magarpatta before an expected crowd of 30,000 fans on February 11.

The 51-year-old Adams will thereafter perform in four other Indian cities Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi and Hyderabad.

Adams has 15 Grammy nominations under his belt and is best known for hits like Cuts Like A Knife, Summer Of '69, Heaven, 18 Till I Die and the hugely-popular (Everything I Do), I Do It For You (from the movie Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves').

Getting the singer to kick off his Asia tour from Pune is a coup of sorts for City Corporation, the Pune-based promoters of Amanora Township, though it involved an undisclosed premium over the fees Adams charges.

City Corporation managing director Aniruddha Deshpande told mediapersons on Wednesday that the Pune show will necessitate an investment of $1 million. The company will try to recover this money through the sale of tickets and corporate sponsorships.

The sale of tickets will begin in the first week of December through select branches of the State Bank of India. Tickets will also be sold online but buyers will have to collect them from SBI.

A day after the Pune show, Adams will perform at Mumbai's Bandra Kurla Complex. Tickets in Mumbai will cost Rs 2,000 and Rs 4,000 and have already gone on sale online. Some proceeds of the ticket sale here will go to Save The Children, a charity that works with underprivileged children.

One person guaranteed to be singing along in the front row in Mumbai is actor Suneil Shetty, whose wife Mana is a trustee of Save The Children. Speaking at the event to announce the tour dates, Shetty said: "I am a big fan of Bryan Adams. He plays my kind of music 80s and 90s. It's musical and has great lyrics, unlike a lot of music today. I dance a little to his music at home, but I'm not a very good dancer!"

Explaining Adams' five-year absence since his last India tour in 2006, his tour producer Richard Coram said: "The world is big, and there's only one Bryan Adams."