Bollywood's Sambha succumbs to cancer

chief

Prime VIP

Bollywood's Sambha succumbs to cancer

MUMBAI: The 'Sambha of Bollywood' is no more. The veteran character actor, Mac Mohan, passed away on Monday evening at a hospital in the city after battling with cancer.

Mac Mohan started his career with Chetan Anand's Haqeeqat and went on to act in about 200 films. He had acted with Amitabh Bachchan in about 16 movies, including Sholay, Don and Shaan.

Recalling his days with Mac Mohan, director Ramesh Sippy said, "He was part of my two films, Sholay and Shaan. In Sholay, his character became so popular that he came to be known as "Sambha" after that. After the film was edited, Mac Mohan was left with only one dialogue, 'pachaas hazar', but he had no issues with it. He was happy to be part of the film."

Mac Mohan is survived by his wife, Mini, and three children. He is also actress Raveena Tandon's uncle.

Amitabh Bachchan reacts:

"There is sadness in declaring that this evening actor Mac Mohan passed away.

"He was a soft hearted gentle soul. His frail body defeated the strength of his character and his kind nature. A person of great care and concern for all.

"I worked with him in several films, films that can be identified as being some of the most memorable in my repertoire. Some of the roles he did were evil in nature, quite the opposite of his own personal demeanour. His laughter was full throated and free ; a symbol of the free spirit he always depicted.

"He will be missed and remembered for many reasons, but perhaps the most for his reference in the film 'Sholay' as Samba, Amjad's, and the dreaded character he played of Gabbar Singh's, gang. Our prayers and condolences to his family and his near and dear," said Amitabh.

prithvi.k

on off on off......
met him way back when he and raveena tandon came in my school (ground) for shooting of a film..koe cricket scene si & in real life he was uncle of raveena tandon.
well jabtak sholay ka naam rahega samba ka naam bhi rahe ga rest in peace..
RIP Samba