Bollywood stars in Abu Dhabi for premiere of MBKD

Lily

B.R
Staff member
753974339.jpg
Dubai: Abu Dhabi got a shot of Bollywood glamour yesterday with stars Katrina Kaif, Imran Khan and Ali Zafar jetting into town to premiere their latest romantic comedy Mere Brother Ki Dulhan (My Brother's Bride).

Peddling it as a quirky romantic comedy, Kaif said she plays a role that didn't adhere to stereotypes normally attached to a Bollywood heroine. In many musicals, actresses are relegated to merely playing glorified eye candy.

"I play this really zany girl from Delhi University who loves to have fun. It's not clichéd like some roles given to women in Bollywood," said Kaif, clarifying that she doesn't play a professional rock-star in the film. The brand ambassador for a UAE airline also hoped that such world premieres would get more Bollywood film-making traffic into Abu Dhabi.

"I have seen so much change and amazing growth — especially in Abu Dhabi. I look forward to coming every time. I hope it [the world premiere] sets a great example and we see more of such functions here," said Kaif. She also pointed that her association with UAE goes a long way. "Lots of my earlier films like Partner and Race were shot here. I love coming to this part of the world," said Kaif.

Directed by debutante filmmaker Ali Abbas Zafar, MBKD revolves around a brother who falls in love with his sibling's girlfriend.

"It's not as shocking as it's made out to be. It's a simple, family entertainer with a quirky touch to it," said its director Ali Abbas. Meanwhile, Imran Khan, who is riding high after the success of his adult comedy, Delhi Belly, hoped that his latest offering would be enjoyed by all.

"It's a comedy of errors. In terms of tone and treatment, it's like a big con, something on the lines of Chupke Chupke or Andaaz Apna Apna. We had such fun making the film," said Khan. Echoing his sentiments was his co-star, Pakistani pop icon Ali Zafar, who confessed that he even takes career tips from the hugely successful Kaif.

The MKBD quarte will head to UK after walking the red carpet at Vox cinemas at Marina Mall.
[/img][/COLOR]