Bamboo shoots straight

Lily

B.R
Staff member
310918736.jpg
Filipino musician and singer Francisco Manalac, popularly known as Bamboo, is known for presenting his musical visions that go beyond his craft. With songs whose messages are often a source of inspiration to Filipino youth, the multi-awarded performer is considered a Philippine rock music icon.

And he's back in Dubai tonight. "The one memory [about Dubai] that stays with me, was at the end of the first show and just seeing the crowd leave the stadium," he tells tabloid! in an exclusive interview. "They all seemed to be walking in one row, just walking into the desert night."

Although he now performs as a solo artist, Bamboo's popularity soared during his days with the band Rivermaya, with hit songs including Ulan (Rain), 214 and Awit ng Kabataan (Song of the Youth). He also performed with another band, also called Bamboo.

The singer's appearance tonight at Al Nasr Leisureland, Dubai, has been called "One Hit Jam", and will also feature rock band Pupil, led by another Philippine music icon, Ely Buendia.

tabloid! spoke to Bamboo about his past career as a band member, his current status as a solo artist and on his life beyond the music.

In 1998, you left Rivermaya and moved to the US at a time when you and your band were at the top of your career. Why?

I just decided I wanted to grow and go back to school — get a bit of life in my bones, get away from the bubble. And today I still say that was the best decision that I ever made. I wouldn't be the kind of person I am today without that time I took. You go where you can grow and I still say that today.

And now you've left your band Bamboo...

Now this was different. This was probably one of the hardest things I had to go through, but it was necessary. I just think moving forward we weren't on the same page any more. There was just no joy in it and I thought what was best was for us was to go our separate ways.

Change is always hard, but some choices are out of your hands and you must fall to the inevitable.

Will we ever see you at a Rivermaya concert?

Rivermaya are still there with members who have been active for more than 10 years. I was there barely even five, so I think they've paid their dues in my opinion. They've earned my respect and admiration, and from what I last heard they're in the studio coming up with a new album — so I look forward to that.

What does it take to be a solo performer compared to being part of a band?

A lot more work...

What challenges have you encountered as a solo artist?

You can ask me that same question in a couple of years — I'm still smack in the mix of this beautiful mess so when the fog clears, call me.

With so many singers in the Philippines, what makes you different?

I never saw it as a competition, but we all do want to stand out — have a real voice, so I think it's all about the work you put in even before you get on stage or in the studio and people can spot a phony when they see it or hear it.

I've been given a life where I get to do what I love on a daily basis so I carry that with utmost humility and respect for my craft and I also carry that giant chip on my shoulder showing them what we [Filipinos] are made of.

Any new album coming? What keeps you busy nowadays?

The new album is called No Water No Moon and it's something special — joy was the operative word for this album. Aside from shows in Manila, I have a tour in North America and also plans for Europe.

I'll be happy to be standing on that stage in Dubai — life is good.

What can the Dubai crowd expect from you?

I'll be there soon — get some rest :)

As a singer/performer, do you think you've made an impact in the lives of your fans?

I'd like to think so and I'm just humbled and inspired by it. I like to think I've changed for the better because of them.

If you were not a singer today, what do you think you would be?

I don't really know how to answer that. It's something I never really thought about. I wanted to go into film at one point — as a producer or director — but music and performing was where I truly belonged.

You've been in the industry for quite some time, where do you think you're heading to? What are your plans after this?

I don't really know. I'm all about the work — the albums, the record — that's what drives me. I've always been good at planning things out, trying to always see a step ahead but there's always that fork on the road that pops up and takes me on a whole other bus ride.

I'm a willing passenger.

As a singer, what are the chances of Jessica Sanchez winning the American Idol and becoming the first Filipino singer to win?

To be honest, I haven't watched the competition but I have seen one of her performances on YouTube and I think she's great and like the rest of the country, I'm rooting for her.
[/img][/COLOR]