chief

Prime VIP
9Ptmf5b-1.jpg

chief

Prime VIP
yJkauA3.jpg
'I wrote 'Kala Chashma' in class IX in 1990'

The song written by cop Amrik Shera has become a Bollywood superhit

Meet Amrik Shera (43), a Punjab Police head constable (HC) attached with the Kapurthala district police, the man behind the heart-throbbing song “Kala Chashma” that has caught the fancy of everyone these days.

Shera, a native of Talwandi Chaudhrian village in Kapurthala, is presently serving in the Police Lines, Kapurthala.

The song, which has become a hit with the young generation, features in the Bollywood movie ‘Baar Baar Dekho’, starring Katrina Kaif and Sidharth Malhotra.

Talking to The Tribune, Sherra said he was on Cloud Nine nowadays, as everybody in the village was congratulating him for making it to the Bollywood.

He said villagers had been making rounds of his place with wishes and sweets.

“I wrote this song in 1990 when I was in the IXth standard in the government school. I had then approached many singers to sing my sing, even for free, but it took me several months to find a singer for this song. I then contacted singer Amar Arshi, who sang it in a live show in England, following which the same was released as an album in Punjab,” Sherra recalled.

Now, my father Joginder Singh, mother Surjit Kaur, wife Maninderjit Kaur and children Hanish Singh and Abhinav Singh are also very happy on this.

How the idea clicked

A trendy girl wearing Kala Chashma in Chandigarh made me write this song

“I remember going with my relatives to the High Court in Chandigarh in 1990 in connection with a court case. That was the first time I visited

Chandigarh because we used to listen that people in the capital were very trendy and fashionable. Then I saw a girl wearing black goggles with a

fancy dress. The idea clicked and I wrote the song. In fact, I immediately stored the title ‘Kala Chashma’ in my mind. I kept on thinking about other

lyrics of the song while travelling in the bus. The moment I landed in my hometown, I took a pen and wrote the song,” Sherra said.

The grudge

The only grudge that I have is that the company concealed the fact that the song was being used in Bollywood.

“I was approached by a city-based company, along with some Mumbai-based company representatives, informing me that my song was required to be played with a remixed version at the inauguration function of some cement company in Mumbai. They gave me Rs 11,000 for that. I accepted the offer because I was thinking that playing my song in Mumbai will make me and my village famous. But I was surprised when the song started coming on the television,

starring Bollywood actress Katrina and Sidharth. Villagers too rushed to my place, saying your song seems to have been stolen by Bollywood people.

Still, I don’t have any bad feeling about the persons who misinformed me. Had they told me that the song would be used in Bollywood, I would not have taken a single penny from them”. Shera suspected that company officials could have sold his song at a much higher price to the Bollywood.[/img]