Aljur Abrenica: The bachelor

Lily

B.R
Staff member
1428985505.jpg

Prime time Filipino actor Aljur Abrenica visited Dubai last weekend for a two-night party, where the former "Ultimate Hunk" grand champion and sought-after leading man showcased something other than his looks — his singing talent, of course, with songs from his self-titled album.

In an exclusive pre-concert interview with tabloid! he reveals that while he's got looks and talent, it's his love for his homeland that sets him apart in a crowded entertainment market. "Inside I'm so Filipino, my roots are truly Filipino — from my family, my attitude. I'm a genuine Filipino, born and raised in the Philippines and I'll also grow old in the Philippines.

"It is my third visit in Dubai. It's a great feeling that I've visited Dubai again," he tells tabloid!. "Most of my relatives are here — my cousins, uncles and aunties. I'm really excited to see my compatriots here in Dubai. I'm thankful to be back in Dubai and this is really a big thing for me to be back here. I'm excited to buy gadgets here because I'm quite techie and I want to see Burj Khalifa."

Check out the rest of our one-on-one conversion with Abrenica as tabloid! explores the different faces of the Ultimate Hunk — his blossoming acting and singing careers, life behind the camera, Kylie Padilla, future plans and some things you never knew about him.

If you weren't an actor today, what do you think you would have been?

I think I will be a pilot. That's what I'm planning to study. If not a pilot, then I'd be like my dad — a musician.

Showbiz doesn't always last forever. Any alternative plans?

I'm really planning to go back to school. As of now, I can't find the chance and time to continue my studies because of my commitments.

When I say I'll go back to school, I really want to physically go to school like an ordinary student. I don't like home study.

Many Filipino stars invest in property. What are your investments so far?

With my five years in showbusiness, I've put my money [in] savings and some into our family business. I'm also planning to venture into a restaurant business. My family and I have invested [in] properties — a building, and a resort.

How does it feel now that people are accepting you also as singer?

Most people don't know that I can sing. They only know me as an actor, but actually singing is really my passion before acting — singing is my first love. I come from a musically-oriented family. My first album was launched in 2009. I've already done my second album; I'm just waiting for the right time and for the producer to release it.

It's a nice feeling that people are accepting me also as a singer. I love to sing old songs, classics and pop.

Do you have any movies or TV shows in the works?

We are in the planning stage. I might be doing two movies and one teleserye [television soap opera] back home. Hopefully those projects will push through and probably next month I can make an announcement about the projects lined up for me this year.

With so many matinee idols in the Philippine showbiz industry, what makes you different?

There are lots of matinee idols, not only in GMA but also in other networks; all of them are really good in their craft. So maybe what makes me different or [gives me] my edge over other matinee idols out there are first my physical attributions — I'm more Filipino physically. Aside from that, inside I'm so Filipino, my roots are truly Filipino — from my family, my attitude. I'm a genuine Filipino, born and raised in the Philippines and I'll also grow old in the Philippines.

Second is my eagerness to learn new things as an actor. I can still consider myself as new in the industry and I do believe each one of us has different strengths and weaknesses. I'm still in the stage of knowing what are my strengths and weaknesses as an actor. I'm very much open for learning — there's still room for improvement.

So many artists nowadays are switching networks. Any plans?

My loyalty is still with GMA. I've started from nothing, I was just an ordinary student, an ordinary person who used to ride a jeepney [the most popular means of public transport in the Philippines] like everybody else. Today, there is a huge difference. I've come a long way as an actor. What I am today, GMA has played a big part or role in it. So, in return, my loyalty is all I can promise to them, as a way of my gratitude to them.

Being one of the most bankable stars of GMA, with all the endorsements and a successful career, what keeps you grounded?

What keeps me grounded? Gravity [laughs]. What keeps me grounded is my family, my friends; they keep on telling or showing me who I am. The people around you are a big factor also to keep you grounded. Off-cam I'm childish, playful, but most of the time I'm a serious kuya [big brother] type. I really love to give advice to people.

You're a good-looking guy... Have you had any indecent proposals?

In the business it's natural to receive indecent proposals and I'm used to it. I appreciate that there are people who admire me but not to the extent of receiving the proposal. I get straight to the point with the person. I can't handle such kind of proposals. I can only offer friendship to them but not beyond that — that's how I handle indecent proposals.

What's happening with Kylie Padilla?

We are still happy. Kylie and I are not really together, we're just friends but she's very important to me. As of now, there are other things that we both need to prioritise, especially [as] we are both artists. I believe in the saying "beautiful is difficult" — all the beautiful things that happen in our life, we really have to work hard for it. If I just focus on my love life, then I might lose my career.

We have a constant communication. She is important to me but we will just remain good friends. I'm single at the moment and I'm not courting anyone.

So far, what's the most stupid or craziest thing you did for love?

I already did so many crazy and stupid things for love. I think all of us did some stupid and crazy things because of love. I consider the most stupid thing that I did for love was standing in the middle of the road — an expressway — just for a girl, without minding the fast vehicles that might hit me.

How far would you go for love?

Well, I can't really say how far I can go, but what I can do for love is that I'll risk and do anything if I really feel that I like and love the person. Whatever trials we will encounter in our relationship, I'll try to surpass those problems.

You were voted the second "Sexiest Man in the Philippines" in a recent online poll conducted by entertainment website Starmometer. How do you maintain your body?

It is an honour and I'm really grateful and thankful for those people who supported and voted for me. Actually, it is hard to have a sexy body. It can be easy at the start because you are excited — the adrenaline is there, but the hardest part is maintaining it.

Would you consider yourself vain?

If needed, yes, but most of the time no. Sometimes management or handlers will scold me because I don't care for my looks — sometimes I have pimples. I'm not vain about myself; other people are being vain for me.

When do you feel sexiest?

I feel sexy when I'm on the beach.

Who among the female showbiz personalities in the Philippines or international do you find sexy and why?

Local, I find Marian Rivera very attractive and sexy. It's not only her physical looks but also what's inside her — her personality. International, Angelina Jolie. She has a strong charisma. I also like girls with boyish attitudes or personalities.

What part of a woman's body do you find sexy?

Eyes — expressive eyes.

Do you prefer a woman with dark or fair complexion, mestiza looking or more of a Filipina beauty?

I've been in a relationship before with both, so nothing in particular. I don't mind the physical appearance — it's more on the attitude of the girl.

Book(s) you have read recently or are reading at the moment?

Inspirational books about life. Right now I'm reading Art of War.

Favourite sport?

Shooting with my father.

What makes you blush?

Whenever I'm thrilled.

Any advocacy?

Well, I can't say academics, because I've not yet finished my studies. Maybe the advocacy that I can share to others — that can't be bought by money — is your dignity as a person.
[/img][/COLOR]