Akshay: I would never take my body for granted

Gill Saab

Yaar Malang
Boasting of an enviable body which is easily the most acrobatic of the lot in Bollywood, especially when it comes to superstars in their 40s, Akshay Kumar is getting ready for his action thriller HOLIDAY.

While the promos are on and the talk of Akshay's action in the film is all over the town, one still wants to ask him about how he manages to still kick a$$ and get those punches and kicks flying.

"It's called discipline," promptly says Akshay, "I have to train hard to keep my skills. If I stop doing my Martial Arts training for even a month or two, my legs stiffen up and my power slows down. To prevent that, I make sure to keep shadow boxing as an integral part of my sessions so that I am prepared for any kind of action at any point in the year."

When questioned, are there any moments of extraordinary lows or highs? "Well, I wish I could tell you that I am gifted and that I can break a coconut tree with one kick. But then honestly, I would never take my body for granted. My directors expect an awful lot from me, so I have to be prepared. The day I let my roundhouse kicks go lower than my head, I will shoot myself," says Akshay in mock exasperation.

He attributes his agile body to the training regime he started following decades back.

"I am grateful for the training that I endured even before my career kicked off," says Akshay, "It is 'that training' from 30 years ago that has made me the capable stuntman that I am today. So all you kids out there, step out of your home and learn now before it's too late and other priorities take over."