Accolades for Aamir’s 'Peepli [Live]'

chief

Prime VIP

Wins Best First Feature Film Award

Aamir Khan's much talked about home production Peepli [Live] has been named the Best First Feature Film at the recently concluded 31st Durban International Film Festival.

Helmed and written by debutante director Anusha Rizvi, the film is a satire on the farmers' suicides and subsequent media and political response in India.

“South Africa is very lucky for me and I hope that luck extends to Peepli Live as well,” Aamir Khan said from Mumbai.

The 45-year-old actor's film Lagaan, which went on to get an Oscar nomination also had its world premiere at Sun City in South Africa.

“Peepli Live has been very well received at all the major film festivals. It has already been at the Sundance Film Festival and was the first Indian film to be selected for the competition section there. Then we were at the Berlin Film Festival and in the UK; and then at the Durban Film Festival we won the award,” Aamir said.

Filmmakers from around the world took the spotlight at the 31st Durban film fest which was held from 22 July to 1 August.

Aamir was elated after the film bagged the honour.

“I think it's really wonderful news that I got today. To get an award from such a distinguished jury leaves me very pleased for the team that we have won this honour,” Aamir said.