Aamir Khan to play Lal Bahadur?

chief

Prime VIP
Aamir Khan to play Lal Bahadur?

Aamir likely to star in Manoj Kumar's ambitious project on the former prime minister.

Manoj Kumar is making a comeback to cinema after 10 long years. However this time the veteran won’t be donning the hat of an actor but will try to taste success as a writer with two patriotic scripts – one titled Aakhri Goli (The Last Bullet) based on the life of Chandrashekhar Azad and the second titled Lal Bahadur Shastri on the life of the former prime minister of India.

Manoj last acted in the 1995 film Maidan-e-Jung and later wrote a film called Jai Hind in 1999.

What’s most interesting about this development is that Manoj might be teaming up with Aamir Khan, who has been approached to play the role of Lal Bahadur and mouth the famous slogan 'Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan'. DNA has learnt that Aamir is also keen to reprise the role.

“Aamir has been approached and he is quite excited. The film is about the life and times of Lal Bahadur Shastri. It is like a bio-pic, but since so little is known about the personal life of the man except for the fact that he was extremely close to Jawaharlal Nehru and that he had fought a war with Pakistan — and his mysterious death at Tashkent about which people have debated whether he was poisoned — we have to improvise a lot on the plot to make it dramatic and intriguing. The script will have the permission from the descendants of Shastri’s family,” Manoj told After Hrs, adding, “I think Aamir is well equipped to pull off this role. I have seen his movies and I must say I love his acting. He is certainly the finest actor we have today.”

Manoj, who has spent 50 years in the film industry, says, “Life has begun for me at 50. I have always believed in quality over quantity and so in my entire career, I have just done around 50 films — unlike others who have done 300. Hats off to them, but I don’t have the stamina to go on and on unless something really fascinates me,” he says.

“I have researched the subject for many years and only after that did I decide to take the plunge. Movies have been my passion and I don’t think I can ever quit it. We are yet to start full-fledged casting.”