The first Sikh soldiers to guard the Queen

$un$hyn

hIs )..Prince$$..(
guards3-1.jpg

LONDON – Queen Elizabeth II has switched bearskin hats for turbans outside Buckingham Palace, where Sikh soldiers have begun guarding the monarch and her treasures, Britain's defense ministry said Friday.

Signaler Simranjit Singh and Lance Cpl. Sarvjit Singh are the first Sikhs to take part in patrols outside the queen's residence and to stand watch over the Crown jewels at the Tower of London across town.

Guard duties are usually carried out by the Guards of Household Division, famed for their bearskin hats and crimson coats that attract picture-taking tourists in their thousands. The ministry said the Sikh soldiers instead wore turbans and blue uniforms.

Other army regiments often help carry out guard duties at Britain's Buckingham Palace when the Household Division is on operations. The ministry said the two soldiers are the first of the 90 Sikhs in Britain's army to be handed the task.

"It's purely a coincidence that this has happened now," said a defense ministry spokeswoman, on condition of anonymity in line with policy. "Regiments take it in turn to stand in for the Household Division and it just happens that two of the soldiers this time round are Sikh."

Sarvjit Singh, who was born in India and is a member of 3 Regiment Army Air Corps, said he was thrilled to have had the opportunity to guard the queen.

"My experience being a Sikh on the queen's guard is beyond words," said the 28-year-old. "It is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I feel privileged to have this honor."

"Being in London and parading in front of hundreds of people has been brilliant. Being Sikh hasn't made any difference," said Simranjit Singh, 26, from Coventry in central England, who is attached to the 21 Signal Regiment (Air Support).

"It's been hard work, but definitely worth it," he said.

He said the toughest part of the role is keeping perfectly still when on sentry duty outside the queen's home.

Sikhs routinely guarded Queen Victoria — a colonial ruler of India. At the time of World War I, Sikhs formed about 20 percent of the British army, but numbers dwindled following India's independence

article005DCB5C6000005DC377_468x589-1.jpg

On duty: Signaler Simranjit Singh (left) and Lance Corporal Sarvjit Singh (right)
are the first Sikh soldiers to guard the Queen

article005DCA18C000005DC340_468x304-1.jpg

Turbans, long hair and beards are a lifestyle for all Sikhs

:pr

www.unp.me/f46/two-sikh-soldiers-to-guard-the-queen-53109/

btw if dont mind ismeh itneh kushi di gal ki ah ? koe so called queen ka guard ban wasteh ! & edeh vich kedah culture dikh reyah !

22 terey lai hovey chahey na hovey saadey lai tah har ik oh gul khushi di a jehri saadey bandea di mehnat show kardi a.

We Punjabi's always appreciate, when our fellow beings taste success through hardwork.

oh kehndey ni hundey..."jihthey jaan punjabi dhooma pa hi dindey ney":wah

prithvi.k

on off on off......
everyone have their diff way of thinking...well agar yaar "sikh" guard baneh vich inah proud then its ok :)
well ur last line.... :y

TaRaN.rbk

ImmorTaL KhalsA
www.unp.me/f46/two-sikh-soldiers-to-guard-the-queen-53109/

btw if dont mind ismeh itneh kushi di gal ki ah ? koe so called queen ka guard ban wasteh ! & edeh vich kedah culture dikh reyah !

Khushi di gal .? ...

First :- ... any1 himself is proud to do this job to protect PM whether it is of any country , this is most trustful and challenging one !
Secondly y v r happy ? --- The countries where turbans are ban and ppl dun knw abot sikhs , they treat we ,afganiees and terrorists same . We Sikhs can die to protect our country , the fact they may born in dat country . Watch Cnn or BBC world news .., they highlight TWO SIKHS will now protect queen .From them ppl around world will knw who are SIKHS . We feel proud and happy wen v c it .

prithvi.k

on off on off......
ohh to show the whole world...this is the reason..okies
The countries where turbans are ban and ppl dun knw abot sikhs , they treat we ,afganiees and terrorists same
agree man, big example is of usa,after 9/11 many sikhs have been targeted & some killed because they they think osama wear turban,sikhs to wear turbans so they r of same religion/category lolz fools.

The countries where turbans are ban and ppl dun knw abot sikhs , they treat we ,afganiees and terrorists same . We Sikhs can die to protect our country , the fact they may born in dat country . Watch Cnn or BBC world news .., they highlight TWO SIKHS will now protect queen .From them ppl around world will knw who are SIKHS . We feel proud and happy wen v c it .

ya, that is positive observation:)

prithvi.k

on off on off......
They're representing!! Ik community (Sikhs/Singh-aan) di pehchaan hoi through ppl like Sarvjit Singh and Simranjit Singh, eh khushi di hee gall hai. :d

aleeh yeah kya :d .... haanji asse kahdo keya edah pehcha nahi hundeh..may be ! but mera main point seh..that so called queen, da bodyguard ban de pehchan hundeh ah ? tah phir thek ahh.. well as i know these angrezz(specialy UK) very smart.. bodyguard tah bahana huna,reason huna dekho ase sikh koh apne queen keh servent banah keh ageh pehche ghuman deh ahh ! ... az insulting or to show down sikh community bahut case huye hai... in uk.. aur ha hun may be uk/europe will think twice if they make some stupid statement about sikh banning turbans or kadhas in school..nahi toh queen koh history pata hune.... az late indira gandhi ke bhi bodyguard edah deh he seh... whatever was the reason was :) ... well ha koe uk de parliament meh(hai bhi shayad) sikh entry mardeh tah ah hunde khushi de gal..as by me..

deep

Prime VIP
aleeh yeah kya :d .... haanji asse kahdo keya edah pehcha nahi hundeh..may be ! but mera main point seh..that so called queen, da bodyguard ban de pehchan hundeh ah ? tah phir thek ahh.. well as i know these angrezz(specialy UK) very smart.. bodyguard tah bahana huna,reason huna dekho ase sikh koh apne queen keh servent banah keh ageh pehche ghuman deh ahh ! ... az insulting or to show down sikh community bahut case huye hai... in uk.. aur ha hun may be uk/europe will think twice if they make some stupid statement about sikh banning turbans or kadhas in school..nahi toh queen koh history pata hune.... az late indira gandhi ke bhi bodyguard edah deh he seh... whatever was the reason was :) ... well ha koe uk de parliament meh(hai bhi shayad) sikh entry mardeh tah ah hunde khushi de gal..as by me..

first of all let me clarify not anybody can have this prestigious designation,
and 2nd thing that we are so trustworthy that even angrez can trust us in the matter of security of their queen, is not it an honour to get selected for such prestigious job in country from which we dont belong to.