Sikh model featured in Kenneth Cole ad campaign!

SehaJ

Troublemaker
hey everyone! saat shri akkal
okie so i was reading the newspaper and i found this new ad for Kenneth Cole and it had a Turbaned (paag) wearing model for advertising! His name is Sonny Caberwal. he is setting a new trend that says to everyone it does not matter if i wear a turban!
i think its great to see more punjabi model's not afraid of wearing turbans and modeling! it open up peoples minds and makes you proud to be you!
some info on sonny
Sonny grew up in a small town in North Carolina. He's a practicing Sikh and an entrepreneur.

Still in his 20s, Sonny is the joint owner of Tavalon Tea Bar in New York City – a lounge that sells gourmet loose-leaf tea and tea accessories.

He graduated Duke University in 2001 and went on to graduate from Georgetown University Law Center in 2004.

He currently resides in San Francisco.

Sonny Caberwal
isn't the first Sikh to scale the heights of cool in this town. That would be Vikram Chatwal - hotelier, Diddy confidante, Hilraiser. But Sonny is the first we know of to become a poster boy for Kenneth Cole. That's him in the window of a KC store near Grand Central, in midtown Manhattan (as photographed by Aseem Chhabra). The caption says "We All Walk in Different Shoes."
It was so surprising to see a Sikh man in a major retail ad campaign that I called the company and asked them who it was, not thinking that he might be prominently featured on the KC website, d'oh.
When he's not leering from behind his cooling glasses, however, Sonny appears to be a fairly regular, if accomplished guy (Duke U. law school grad, owner of Tavalon tea lounge near Union Square). And that's presumably why Kenneth Cole employed his services. Watch him talk about the challenges of being Sikh in an educational online video at KennethCole.com, celebrating "Non-Uniform Thinkers":
"I can't walk through an airport without getting special security screening, and having people look really afraid... In the United States we hold the idea of freedom so dear, but I think that what happens is that most people find that their limitations are not what other people impose on them. It's the limitations they impose on themselves."
kennethcolesikh-1.jpg

There's more video elsewhere - quite a bit, in fact:
"My name is Sonny Caberwal, and I am an entrepreneur. I am a member of the Sikh religion. Sikhism is a monotheistic religion. It started in India in the 1500's. As part of our religion, we believe that Sikh men maintain a very strong visual identity. And we're often, in this day and age, mistaken for Moslems. I always drew strength from keeping this unique identity to remind me that I am different. For me it's a matter of reinforcement, but for other people it's become a symbol of hate, and a symbol of fundamentalism. When September 11 happened, I was in law school, and I was watching TV with all my peers, and I looked around and the Taliban came on TV. And they looked just like Sikh people..."