power crisis in punjab

deep

Prime VIP
hi guys,

lets have a discussion on power crisis faced by Punjab
1. why there is huge shortage
2. who is responsible for this crisis
3. what are the impacts
4. what can be done to solve this crisis.

Please give your fair views.

No off-topic please:thappar

PUNJAB (Akali Sarkar) is responsible for it...
te oh lok jo electricity chori karde ne te officer jehre karwande ne
dekho je apane kol cheez abundance ch howe tahi kise ne free de oge na...

Dhillon

Dhillon Sa'aB™
Staff member
1. Minimal production and lack of finance to buy from other states.
2. People accepting Free electricity policy of state govt.
3. un-employment as no one is investing and govt. can't hire and pay.
4. Refuse free electricity, state govt. to invest in power production.

well i wud like to share wid u that im not from india!but still i asked my father regardin this issue!

1) less fininacial resources!
2) over wasting of power in cities!in big show rooms and other places!like runnin ac continuly
3) people and of course govt both r responsible cz lack os awareness among the mass!

govt is not makin any stratergy to overcome this trouble!

Impact! nevertheless!

total power failure!
strike!

fight!
diaster!

deep

Prime VIP
1. Minimal production and lack of finance to buy from other states.
2. People accepting Free electricity policy of state govt.
3. un-employment as no one is investing and govt. can't hire and pay.
4. Refuse free electricity, state govt. to invest in power production.

1. Minimal production and lack of finance to buy from other states.---------- we can increase production but sade leader da dhidh bharda rahe baki khooh ch jaan, i am hearing about ranjit sagar dam since i was in school , enne sala ch sirf ik turbine chaloo hoyi hai.

finance-- sade leaders di pay nu dekh ke nahin lagda ke we have lack of finance, in this financial year punjab govt has increased pays and perks of MLAs,chief secty's approx 200% , every MLA has got a new luxury car too. they have alloted a plot to create a housing complex in so precious land that TATA is ready to pay 75 lakhs and one luxury flat to each MLA in lieu of that land.its better to sell that land and use that money in some major project

unemployment-- industry cannot grow unless power crisis is resolved.till then unemployment will be here

onlycheema

Banned
Well the real issue is not the free electricity or the consumption of electricity in big towns; the big issue really is the theft by industrial corporations; and it's a huge issue which everyone skips by; I'm sharing some copyrighted data so save my a$$ if someone drops by asking my IP :p

ScienceDirect - Energy Policy : Consumption of electricity in Punjab: Structure and growth
Nisha Bhargava, Baldev Singh, and Shakuntla Gupta
a Department of Economics, DAV College Hoshiarpur, Punjab, India
b Department of Economics, Punjabi University Patiala, Punjab, India

######
######

(i) Controlling the time of service required by introducing time of use metering and by using seasonal tariff during summer months and thus shifting load from peak-to-off peak periods. This can be particularly effective in bulk sector in which demand is price elastic. Initially, such meters may be leased to consumers and their cost may be recovered from them in monthly installments through their electricity bills.(ii) Since the demand for electricity emanating from various sectors is income elastic and with economic development, demand for electricity is bound to grow therefore, to meet this demand, sufficient generating capacity needs to be created.
(iii) Withdrawing free electricity to agriculture and introducing a rational tariff on the same to avoid wastage of electricity and water.
(iv) Encouraging the use of efficient end-use devices like compact fluorescent lamps by all consuming sectors. Presently, these are not being used on a wide scale simply because many consumers are not aware of their efficiency and also because they are expensive.
(v) Replacing old machinery in industries by efficient equipment and using efficient pump sets in agriculture.
(vi) Using renewable energy sources such as solar energy for lighting, cooking, heating and cooling of buildings with underground thermal energy storage and thermo-chemical reactions.
(vii) Displaying labels on electric appliances informing the consumer about their efficiency.
(viii) By switching off lights when not required. Some of the street lights may be switched off after midnight.
(ix) By designing buildings, those are airy and allow enough light so that minimum electricity is used for lighting during daytime.
(x) By launching consumer awareness campaigns and training in prevention of energy wastage by better energy management and by introducing energy conservation programmes at school level of education so that energy conservation becomes a habit among the citizens.
(xi) By offering lower tariffs to those who shift their demand when power utility cuts off their power supply.
(xii) By adjusting working hours to take maximum advantage of daylight.
(xiii) By encouraging self/captive generation in those areas where such generation is economical as compared to power supplied by public utility.
On the basis of the findings of the study, it can be concluded that in a developing economy like Punjab, demand for electricity may not always find support in the economic theory particularly regarding the price behaviour. Moreover, the availability of electricity also has a bearing on its consumption. In the short run, consumers have a fixed capital stock whereas in the long run they can adjust their stock e.g. machinery and electrical appliances in response to changes in prices. For this reason, studies in the field of electricity observe that its demand is unresponsive to price specifically in the short run. In that case, a price increase may not necessarily lower demand and even if demand decreases, its elasticity will be less. Therefore, the total expenditure of the consumers on electricity would increase. An important policy implication of this fact is that price will be ineffective as an instrument of regulating and managing demand. Though time of the day metering can be effective in clipping peaks yet aggregate demand is not likely to come down much. Therefore, the state has to use other demand-side management measures, such as improving efficiency of electricity use and its conservation. It has been observed in this study that demand for electricity is income elastic and is increasing at an accelerated rate. We know that creation of electricity-generating capacity involves long gestation lags therefore supply-side measures are also required and they must include enhancing the power-generating capacity, promoting inter-regional exchange of power, improving the load factor, reducing transmission and distribution losses in a time-bound manner, using efficient fuels and developing non-conventional sources of electricity, particularly solar energy, the scope for which is wide in the state. A comprehensive electricity policy is urgently needed keeping in view the fact that in Punjab economy, demand for electricity is likely to remain resilient to price changes just like in the past and in the long run, price-demand as well as income-demand relationship in case of electricity is likely to remain uncertain especially in the post-reform era.

onlycheema

Banned
Half of the facts in the paper are just there so as to make it publishable; don't pay too much attention to fancy stuff but yes some are valid
points.

T& D loss is transmission and distrubution loss; which is very much too but then it is something that can't be avoided but reduced, in US it's 7.2 % compared to our >20% which means too much electricity is getting wasted.

Can DST bring about a change in power consumption in punjab like in industrial cities??

deep

Prime VIP
Half of the facts in the paper are just there so as to make it publishable; don't pay too much attention to fancy stuff but yes some are valid
points.

T& D loss is transmission and distrubution loss; which is very much too but then it is something that can't be avoided but reduced, in US it's 7.2 % compared to our >20% which means too much electricity is getting wasted.

Can DST bring about a change in power consumption in punjab like in industrial cities??

In US power loss is low due to one more reason and that it 110V transmission .
bcoz when the power is transmitted there is a heat loss which is somewhat proportionate to V*V/R, where V is voltage being transmitted and R is resistance of wire or conductor.

In case of india 220*220=48400/R and
in case of US 110*110=12100/R

which matters a lot

onlycheema

Banned
^i know the physics thing, but overlooked this voltage issue. Which means if we believe the data then TD losses are not much.

EDit : Well gujarat's TD lossed are 20.6 down from 26 and they are aiming for 15 %.

lol...funny thing is all our state government cares about is votes tey lokan dey dimag ch eh gul paindi ni.

Jad koi badal nu puchda bijli kyun nu aundi...agley din ik neeh pathar rkah dinda....ah plant lahta...oh plant lahta......oh chalu tah 5 saal baad huney a....lokan nu eh budhu banaunda.

Merey hisab naal eh reasons ney.

Politicians not willing to invest in infrastructure to overcome this problem

Ik meh article parea c....

Pichley 10 saaala ch Punjab da power output same hi reha tey demand has gone through the roof. Industrial demand bahut jadah vadh gai a par output vadhea ni is karkey shortage a rahi a.

Usto uparon apney leaders paisey kha rahey a behkey. Lutt rahey a punjab nu ghar di raajniti banakey. Infrastructure ch invest ni kar rahey. Koi plan ni bana rahey power shortage naal deal karan lai.

Mehnu lagda financial difficulty tah nahi haigi ehni...problem eh a ki saadey leader ni kuch kar rahey. Har pasey apnia votes tey faida dekh rahey a. Give free bijli to some kisaans and take advantage of volatile religious issues and bag votes that is there moto.

Sabh toh jadah merey hisab naal is ch hath leaders di lack of planning da. Eh crisis honey hi ni c jeh prior plannin hundi. Punjab dey lokan nu hun chahida koi navi party khari karke ohnu vote paun tey badal nu thaley laun.

Bahut mazaak ho gea...india jaida....light hi ni aundi saari saari dihaari...generator naal kam saarna painda..:(....and our state was supposed to be one of the top one's:(

onlycheema

Banned
Ik meh article parea c....

Pichley 10 saaala ch Punjab da power output same hi reha tey demand has gone through the roof. Industrial demand bahut jadah vadh gai a par output vadhea ni is karkey shortage a rahi a.

The data is up there shown, i don't a "gone through the roof" increase in consumption.

The data is up there shown, i don't a "gone through the roof" increase in consumption.

I dont remember the exact article but consumption has definitely increased which is why Punjab is having trouble keeping up with the demand. I will try to find the article and get back to you. I saw it in an indian newspaper when i went to india and i might still have the cutting lying around.

onlycheema

Banned
yaar akhbaar shadd oho journal paper aa, matlab asli research. Paper ch taa sabb gand mand aa ohde saahmne. Mukkdi gall ehi aa bass power di ghaat aa poori karo; ehe BOO basis te thermal plant kholan daye ne mandi gobindgarh kol te 2 3 hor kitey; parr hunn nuclear plant laina chahida.
Te bijli chori companies kardiyaan ne oho rukkni chahidi aa mohali industrial phase ch lagg bhagg saariyaan companiyaan sirf 10% khapat da bill dindiyaan ne.

Mandeep Kaur Guraya

MAIN JATTI PUNJAB DI ..
1. why there is huge shortage
Sab ton vadda reason hai, ki power production bahut ghat hai te consumption har saal bahut jyada vadd rahi hai..main ik article ch padeya c ki..pichhle kujh saala ton prodction oni di oni hai , par consumption 5 guna vadh gayee hai.:o
duja reason hai chori... jadon chori rokan wala department hi paise laike chori karn de tarike dasse tan koi ki kar sakda hai...ithe te vaad hi khet nu kha rahi hai... te chori sirf industries hi nahi, balki lagbhag har ghar ch v ho rahi hai... je eh sab 100 w use karde ne tan bill sirf 20 da hi bharde ne...kitho ayega paisa hor power produce kar layee... adha lok khande ne te baaki bacheya sarkaari leader :pop

2. who is responsible for this crisis
who other than PUNJAB SARKAAR. :thapparBhaven congress hove ya SAD, punjab nu tan dovan da hi koi fayda nahi(hanji ohna de leaders nu te rishtedaara nu tan bathera hai :) )
Doven parties is masle nu hall karan de mood ch hi nahi..kyun ki har vaar isi di duhaayee deke te ohna nu votes milde ne... je eh mudda hi khatam ho gya te vichare votes kis base te mangange :):pr

3. what are the impacts
Punjab jo sab ton vadh anaaj paida karda c, ajkal uthe da kisaan hi bhukha marda peya hai.... power nahi, te motran ni chaldiyan, paani nahi te faslaan kithon hon.:(
Duja impact unemployeement.
Mere varge kinne punjabi degreeyan karke idhar south india ch dhakke peye khande ne,ithe job karde ne...kyun ki punjab ch koi company apna office kholan nu tyar nahi...puchho tan pta lagda hai ki, jithe proper power hi nahi uthe saada kamm kinj chalega... je proper power hove tan pta nahi kinniyan industries khul jaan punjab ch te fir ton punjab shine karn lag paye:jahaj

4. what can be done to solve this crisis.
pahlan tan sarkaar de khilaaf lokaan nu uthna payega..ki inne saaalan ton jo vaade kite ne plants bnaan de oh neeh pathar ton agaan kado uthange.
Duja loki pahlan power chori karni chhadan te fir duhayee den ki power nahi aundi te sarkaar kujh ni kardi.:so

the one major incident that i come accross is that punjab govt. has sufficient supply of electricity but the every govt. is making money by selling this electricity to other states like rejasthan and gujrat. (Major portion is Rajasthan).

Bhaave akaali aun ja congrssi hun batti vi khaan lag paye :)a